window leaks

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Calfee

We recently found some leaks around our lexan fixed windows in the salon. I removed the window, cleaned the caulking material and rebedded the lexan with "Lifeseal" a product recommended by our local chandlery.  When I went to check the result by spraying the window with a hose, it leaked worse than before I "fixed" it.  I would like to be able to do this job myself and not have to take it in to a yard. I didn't use their recommended degreaser so that may be the problem.  Anyone have any experience with this,  good hints or advice?  Any help would be appreciated.

Stu Jackson

Larry

We had exactly the same problem on our port side window evidenced by a puddle on the top of the nav station.  I, too, did a first "repair to despair" while on the hook at Clipper Cove one rainy day.  Thankfully, it stopped raining.  

Once back at the slip the next day, I again removed the entire window.  The seal that Ron mentioned was still there and in good shape.  The seal was there, but it was the only material keeping water out, no caulking.  Guess they were built that way.

My initial problem was that I had been too conservative with the caulk.  This time I used a very liberal bead of caulk (West Marine clear).  I also purchased slightly larger screws, since the OEM screws were tiny.  Not too much larger in diameter, or you'll crack the glass, and not too much longer or they'll go through into the cabin. The original screws are too short to hold the window in against the extra thickness of caulk.

The caulk bead should squeeze out of the space, both inside and out.  It helps to have someone inside to avoid caulk drips.  As always with caulking, I only secured it enough to hold, and only then tightened it up the next day.  After a few days, we cut off the "extra" caulk on the inside and outside.

No leaks since.  No need for yard assistance.

Worked so well I did the other three windows before they started to leak.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rdavison

My boat, 1268, doesn't have any screws in the salon windows.  I've redone one but the job was imprecise and sloppy without any screws to hold things in place.  I just sort of pushed in until the windows seemed to be aligned and in about the right depth.  Then I used masking tape to keep the window from sliding to the bottom until it cured.  I used a black adhesive caulk that West Marine recommended.  Can't remember the number but it was one I hadn't used before.

Any idea how to do this better?  I wonder when and why Catalina bagged the screws?

Randy Davison  #1268 1993 k7voe

Larry Calfee

Thank you for your helpfull replies.  I will be redoing the job soon.  Hopefully this problem will be cured and I can replace the other three correctly.