Boat inspection by another c34.org member

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Tony Wright (Hull #1657 C34 2003, Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada), who happened to be in Vancouver this weekend, came for a short sail aboard Hali.  In fact, he did most of the work.

Once convinced that I wanted his suggestions, Tony looked hard at Hali during our sail in English Bay and gave me at least a dozen suggestions for things that could be done differently and better.

I come at sailing mainly from an interest in navigation, a childhood of undemanding dinghy sailing, and ownership of a smaller cruiser.  Tony has done lots of racing.  I sail in salt water, year round.  He sails in fresh water when it isn't frozen -- and lays his boat up during the winter.  He has to leave his boat at dock prepared for the high winds that blow out of thunderstorms.  I can generally expect only light winds at our marina.  And so on.

Tony saw things that I was not attuned to.  For example, he recommended stowing the jib sheets taut to the winches instead of loose to the anchor locker, in order to avoid the risk of a wind flogging the jib to pieces.  He would like the turning blocks further forward.  He spotted a rust spot in a lifeline.  He suggested Woolite (sp?) and cold water to wash cushion covers.  He knew who knew where to find out about the tape used on the hatchcover runners. He didn't hear clicking from the winches and suspected they had been overgreased. And more.

Tony saw good things to do on Hali in a few minutes.  Thanks, Tony.  I suppose many C34 owners could do the same for other C34 owners.

If you are a C34 owner coming through Vancouver, I would be pleased if you contact me (604-730-9345; email mjm@mjmacleod.com).

More generally, have others of you had similar good experiences?

Michael MacLeod, "Hali" 1997 Hull #1352, Universal M-35B engine, Vancouver, BC

tonywright

Mike

It was great to meet you and have an opportunity to take a short sail in the beautiful setting of Vancouver. I am pleased that I was able to offer a few suggestions that may help, in a small repayment for your generous offer of your time.

As Mike said, this web site alone makes a great case for owning a C34.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Michael

Tony - It was great to meet you, too.  Thank you for the help.  Cheers.
Michael MacLeod, "Hali" 1997 Hull #1352, Universal M-35B engine, Vancouver, BC