Additional Access Doors Under Vee berth

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Sayian

I have a 1999 MK II and want to put an additional access door on each side of the bulkhead below the drawer under the vee berth.
I can fit a 12x12 frame (max) on each side (will have to trim a bit to get it in, but that gives me an 11x11 opening).  The minimum opening I want to have is 8 inch.

Am looking for something that closely resembles the 'blonde teak' finish on the MK IIs or better yet, a white finish.  Also want a solid door too.  Have looked on West Marine and Defender and all they have is the dark teak styles.

I know this mod has been done before but am looking for a specific size and type.  Any suggestions where I can try to fine these?

Thanks much!
Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

derekp

Catalina sells a white door already mounted in a teak frame that is about 1ft square. I bought one last year but it was expensive ! Try their parts Dept.
Derek Peddlesden
Kaleidoscope

Joe Kern

Steve, are you putting a door on each side of the door that is there or do you not have any door?   I have one which I use to access the transducers.  Just curious about your set-up.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ron Hill

Steve : If you look in your Nov06 copy of the Mainsheet Tech notes, you'll see my 12" square louvered doors on each side of the Vberth.  Mine are teak, but you can get the white doors mentioned above.  However, I'd strongly recommend that you get louvered doors for the Vberth.  Air flow inhibits mold! 
Your boat- your choice.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

H&L Marine makes the doors for Catalina.

One of our favorite boating stores is Ace Hardware. Why limit yourself if all you are looking for is a door?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Sayian

Joe;  Going to put the 'doors' on either side of the drawer on the angled sides.  Too much storage space there that isn't being used.

Ron;  Louvers are favored for ventilation (and yes, I read your article and that's where I got the idea) but the boat has the blonde teak and I'd like to either find that color or go with white to match the fiberglass.

Also thinking about removing the drawer and slide assembly and replacing it with a hinged door and putting in a shelf above the water tank hose and dept sounder/knot meter transducers (which would still allow access for removing the knot meter and getting at the tank hose.  This would give access to the area below the drawer.  The shelf will be layed on ribs that are glassed into the sides of the hull and the inside of the drawer bulkhead above the forward water tank hose.  The shelf will have 5-6 inch sides to prevent stuff sliding off. 

Have a catalogue coming from H&L Marine for the door styles.
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass