You Need A Bigger Boat!

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Swenson

I hope I've put a good idea into some of your heads!  I currently own a Catalina 30 and would like to move up to a Catalina 34 soon.  Unfortunately, not too many of you seem to be in the mood to sell right now.  You guys have a great web site that I've found useful as a Catalina 30 owner over the years.  With any luck, someone will list a 1988-1992 Cataline 34 soon in the Northwest!

Ron Hill

Mark : you've struck out on two counts.
First, I'm in the northeast!
Second , my first mate has instrictions to bury me in a grave that is 60' deep, 35' long and 13' wide with/boat !
SORRY,  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Have you tried Yachtworld?  Our C34 IA treasurer may be selling his #1484.  What resources have you employed?  Our 'site doesn't have them all.  Wish you luck and look forward to having you join us, and glad you appreciate our 'site.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Footloose

Mark,

Be careful!  The perfect boat always seems to be 3-4 feet bigger than the one you just bought.

BTW:  I am very satisfied with my C34 and have no plans to sell.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Craig Illman

Mark - If you can find the right boat, the trucking costs are really a small cost of the total cost of ownership over the long haul (no pun intended). I think the hardest thing would be to find a reliable broker and surveyor in another part of the country. The second hardest thing would be to walk away after investing in air travel and a survey when something just didn't feel quite right about the boat.

I think you should consider the Bay Area region as a minimum. Fleet One is real active and I'll bet that offline, many members could give you history about any C34 you'd find down there.

Craig

Joe and Carol

Keep on looking!  We moved up from a Catalina 30.  There is a market out there and given time you will find the perfect Catalina 34.  And, I guarantee, you will love it!  Good luck.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Mark Swenson

Thanks for a ll the replies!  I have also looked in Yachtworld.  There is one listed there at Dana Point that sounds nice.  A couple of others I've checked on are already sold, but the brokers haven't updated the boat's staus.  I haven't been brave enough to inquire about shipping costs from California to Seattle.  I suspect it won't be a small cost, but suspect for the right boat it would be worth it.

One thing I've noticed in Yachtworld is that the price of boats in Canada (shown in US Dollars) seems to be very significantly more than those listed in the US.  Does anyone know why?

Stu Jackson

Mark,

"...the price of boats in Canada (shown in US Dollars) seems to be very significantly more than those listed in the US."

The reason is that the further north (or south below the equator) you go the more the boats do cost.  Based on a comparison of different boating magazines and other cost reviews for the past lotta years, that's been my impression, knowing the equality of the rest of the C34s by hull number = year built, and not condition (which I couldn't know from reviewing the ads).  Even WA is usually more than CA within the US.

There was some comment a few years ago (maybe in the FAQs) that C34 owners take "better" care of their boats.  I have no statistics to support this, and mean no negativity to other brands or different size boats, but the people who chime in here seem to keep theirs in very good shape.  I believe that's because their interests indicate that they treat preventative maintenance as a high priority and as the safety issue it really is.  And all of us are always learning something new from each other, whether it's an unusually interesting new "why-didn't-I-think-of-that" item, or by providing references and tools to help identify answers and prior discussions. 

OTOH, we saw some REAL DOGS when we spent our year looking for Aquavite.   :shock:

I believe that this cost difference is basically due to two reasons:

1.  The boats further north are provisioned with more systems, i.e., primarily heating.  Perhaps also radar as almost OEM because of weather.

2.  The further south the more the impact of seawater on boats. Although air conditioning could be considered a financial offset to heating, it's the rigging and other stuff abovedecks that may make the difference. 

Water corrodes, salt water corrodes absolutely, and even more when it's warm and humid.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mark,
I would like to recommend a broker for you to check with. He is based out out of Marina Del Rey but works the whole west coast and beyond if necessary. I met him through a sailing club called Marina Sailing and they have five bases along the California coast. Aside from being a broker, he is a sailing instructor for Marina Sailing, is ASA certified and has a US Coast Guard license and above all is very reputable. He also does deliveries if necessary.
His name is Jim Cash and his cell phone is 310-463-6902 and I feel very comfortable recommending him to a friend.
If you have any questions you can also call my cell 602-980-4233

Mike Stimmler
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

tonywright

Re Canadian prices higher.

The Canadian Dollar has appreciated in value by almost 50% against the US dollar over the past 5 years. Those who are selling in Canada bought their boat with Canadian dollars, and paid a significant premium to do so. Now that they want to sell, they are not keen to price in US dollars and take an automatic 30% drop in value from when they bought. So when they advertise on Yachtworld, you will see the Canadian price converted at today's exchange rate, which makes it very high in US$ terms. Of course the advertised price may not be fetched in the final deal.

If you cross the border to buy a boat, there are sometimes taxes and other costs involved that factor into the final cost. Nonetheless at the current exchange rate, it is attractive for many to cross the border from Canada into the US to shop. The hauling cost is much more reasonable than you might think.

Stu is correct in that the short sailing season in Canada and the cooler temperatures mean that boats in general tend to last much longer up here: less UV damage to the gelcoat, less mold, etc. They are hauled out, winterized and carefully covered up from October to April each year. Many boats sail in fresh water rivers and lakes, meaning that corrosion is almost nonexistent. Engines, spars and rigging love it. So a 20 year old boat may appear newer in condition than say a 5 year old boat kept year round in Florida, and keeps its value very well.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Larry Robertie

Quote from: tonywright on June 12, 2007, 03:04:42 PM
Re Canadian prices higher.

The Canadian Dollar has appreciated in value by almost 50% against the US dollar over the past 5 years. Tony

Tony... so that's why you were so ahead of the deal in Gloucester!  Some folks (um, well, everyone that knew about the deal) were wondering how it could be such a great deal that you would fly down, buy a cradle, hire a hauling company, get a (kinda crappy) room, and then look at the boat.

Even with the minor engine stuff and the nicks on the deck I guess you got one heck of a deal!  Have you got all of the pug hairs out yet  :shock:???  Me neither, but it's still a great boat!

For those that don't know what I'm talking about - Tony and I both bought our C34's within a couple of days apart.  They were in the same marina, neighboring slips.  Both of the guys (two of the greatest guys you ever want to meet) had Pug dogs.  The boats were twins.  Mine is a year 2000, Tony's is a year 2003(?).  Otherwise these boats are absolutely the same!  (we are talking about a couple of major buddy's here, and I'd party with 'em anytime!) Both boats have the same Air Conditioners, the same Bruce anchors, etc...  Around the time that we were buying the boats, I had closed and Tony was about to, and I asked Tony on board.  We both looked at each other, smiling, and Tony said it - when do you  get a boat that is 6 years old, that smells like it is just ready for the boat show?  Yes, these were remarkably good deals.  Both are spectacular boats.  And now I know why Tony was so all smiles, even without the exchange rate I've been that way since I bought mine!

So Mark... take your time.  There are some spectacular deals out there.  Use www.yachtworld.com, it has by far the widest selection of boats on the Internet. But work your search, maybe there is a boat yard close to you that has a C34, maybe another Catalina you might be interested in.  I don't think you or anyone will ever find a PO who has taken care of their boat as well as my PO, Jim Rose, but there are guys like that out there.  Pay attention to how the PO feels about the boat, what did he use it for, what improvements did he add, and get a maintenance schedule if you can.  There are sailors (great rigging), mechanics (great systems), and then there are great owners (great everthing!)

These are terrific boats.  Good luck  :clap
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Kyle Ewing

Stu,

Regarding your observation about location, part of it may have to do with condition--farther north implies shorter sailing season, less wear and tear, and less UV damage.  Air pollution including dirt and grime in the air affect how a boat shows.  Boats in Chicago are much dirtier than those in sparsely populated northern Michigan.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

tonywright

Larry

Pug Hairs: We thought we had them all after two days of cleaning every nook and cranny. But then I turned on the AC.

Just to set the story straight. I did invest in the (kinda crappy) room, and the airfare before making my offer. But the hauling company and the cradle only after the deal closed! (I had firm quotes in hand, though).  The boat has been much admired back in my club, where it is currently the newest (by 4 serial numbers) C34 there. I guess with 4 in the club we qualify as a fleet. But we would need 5 for a one design start!

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Rick Johnson

Mark,

If you find a listing you like in Southern California, I'm driving out to Orange County at the first of July and would be happy to take pictures of a boat or two.  When I purchased my 34 a friend went by first and took a bunch of pictures of both the exterior and interior.  I spent several nights looking over all the details before I decided to fly out to take her for a sail and talk to the owner.  Not a perfect way to buy a boat but it helped...

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

dbpaul

Mark
I bought my C310 in Southern California this year and the cost to ship to Anacortes was $3850.
Dudley was the hauler and his price sealed the deal.
www.dudleyboats.com.
paulj :clap