Leaky Head

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Gregg

I seem to have developed a leak from my holding tank thats draining back into my head bowl. I know this because the chem treatment appears. Its a slow leak but I'm not sure what valve prevents the head from backflushing. Any similiar experiences? Thank You, Aaron....

Roc

Aaron,
When was the last time you re-built your head pump??  If it has been more than a couple/few years (or you never did), it sounds like it's time.  You can buy the kit from from B/US, WM or Defender (which is the cheapest).  It's not hard, takes about 2 hours if you never did it before.  The kit has all the rubber parts and other stuff that needs replacing. Make sure everything is rinsed out very well before you start (or put clothespin on nose).

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

jeff

Suspect joker valve - replacement comes in rebuild kit
Jeff, Salty Dog #1102

jentine

Before you go through the trouble and expense of rebuilding the head, buy a gallon of vinegar and pour a 1/2 gallon in the head and pump it (water off) enough to get it into the joker valve (the joker valve is at the base of the plunger unit) and sanitation hose.  Leave it there for several hours to soak.  Repeat the procedure with the other half gallon and rinse thoroughly.  This should do the trick. The vinegar will loosen any accumulated crud on the parts.  I have done this to our head annually for ten years and have never had to rebuilt the head.

Stu Jackson

Aaron

Also suggest you read Marine Sanitation: Fact vs. Folklore, on the C34 website, FAQs section.

When I rebuilt our head, I found it easier to take the whole contraption out of the head and work on it in the cockpit.  Much better access to the pump assembly.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."