Posting Photos to This Board Made EASY

Previous topic - Next topic

Rortega46

I am unable to attach an iPad or MAC photo.  The message reads....."Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 450 KB."

Then I downloaded some software (Resize Lite) to change the photo to JPG and resized to only 215 KB, but when trying to attach to a post this message popped up...   "Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 200 KB."

I give up for now.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

KWKloeber

Randy,

We are sailors!! Don't ever give up. :-)

From the  attachments dialog box:

Allowed file types: pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif, png, txt, doc
Restrictions: 5 per post, maximum total size 450KB, maximum individual size 200KB

Just get your individual attachment down below 200 until the autosizer gets repaired.  I think it needs a new bottom job, too many blisters.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Rortega46

My surrender was temporary.  You are right about never giving up.  Reminds me of one of the greatest inspirational speeches of all time, i.e. Jim Valvano's famous "Don't give up.....don't ever give up!" speech at the 1993 ESPYs.

Success......photo of 191kb just successfully posted
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

KWKloeber

Dave S,

It seems the photo resizer may be messed up again?

It isn't resizing for me, had to manually. And when it bombed out the site bounced me to 'start a new topic' rather to displaying the photo size error message?  (Safari, iPad Pro, iOS 11.3)

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

mark_53

If your using Ubuntu, gThumb is a good choice to resize photos.

mdidomenico

Quote from: mark_53 on April 21, 2018, 02:15:12 AM

heck, if you're on linux it's easier just to use convert from the imagemagick package, which is generally installed on most machines with a gui and/or at least one other image tool

cmdline is nice when you have a whole bunch of pics to resize

$ convert -resize 25% 0325181917.jpg th1_0325181917.jpg
$ ls -l 0325181917.jpg th1_0325181917.jpg
-rw-r----- 1 md md 3805595 Mar 25 19:17 0325181917.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 md md  248166 Apr 21 21:53 th1_0325181917.jpg

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

mark_53

Quote from: mdidomenico on April 21, 2018, 06:56:34 PM
Quote from: mark_53 on April 21, 2018, 02:15:12 AM

heck, if you're on linux it's easier just to use convert from the imagemagick package, which is generally installed on most machines with a gui and/or at least one other image tool

cmdline is nice when you have a whole bunch of pics to resize

$ convert -resize 25% 0325181917.jpg th1_0325181917.jpg
$ ls -l 0325181917.jpg th1_0325181917.jpg
-rw-r----- 1 md md 3805595 Mar 25 19:17 0325181917.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 md md  248166 Apr 21 21:53 th1_0325181917.jpg

Thanks for the tip!   Command line is much quicker once you learn the syntax.  Would be nice to have the website do it for you when you post.  My Windows 10 has become quite slow on my not so old i5 quad core processor.

Stu Jackson

In another thread (subject of topic not necessary), Eric posted:

Quote from: ewengstrom on September 21, 2020, 04:04:11 AM....................
Stu, thanks for the info regarding the shrinking of pictures, I've looked into that in the past but still haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Every picture is on my Galaxy phone and it seems to be quite the process to reduce them. I'll keep working on it though, thanks for the help.

Does anybody know how to reduce photo sizes on a phone?

I take my phone photos and put them on my computer.

Any way to do it right on the phone?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Are you on Android phone or Apple? For On my iPhone I use a free app. named "Image Size".
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

I have that and 2 other free apps (iOS) - ResizeIt and Resizer.

Sometimes I find it easier to email myself a photo (iOS Mail) and when sending, the tiny person inside the little box typically asks whether I want to send the original(s) or smaller size(s) (below- listed by file mb, not photo physical size.). I save the reduced one(s) when it arrives back into the little box.

I also use ViewEXIF to quickly see the file size and file name as it's stored in the little box.

If you can set (in settings) to txt reduced size pics (I do) - when you txt yourself a pic the version that comes back to my little box is a reduced size. The one below went from 797k to 190k.

ewengstrom

Stu,
Thanks for the assist!!!!  :thumb:
Everyone keeps mentioning i-phones and how easy it is but I have a Galaxy and finally just figured it out. Simply put I finally just downloaded a free app and worked with it and found it to be exactly what I needed!!!!! :clap
I do appreciate you reaching out though and I'm looking forward to better sharing my experiences and work on Ohana.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15