Oberdorfer Raw Water Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

I've done the required search on this site but haven't found the answer to my question.

I've replaced the Sherwood raw water pump with an Oberdorfer (I'll now send the Sherwood to Depco to rebuild as a spare).  The Sherwood had 1/2 in threaded intake/outlets to a 90 degree elbow which had 5/8 in hose barbs on the other end.  The Oberdorfer has 3/8 threaded intake/outlets.  Does the Oberdorfer normally go from 3/8 - 5/8?  Seems odd...  Any ideas on a source for the required elbows?
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Jeff Kaplan

rick, i found it rather odd that the oberdoffer went from 5/8" hose to a 3/8" nipple also. when i replaced all the engine hoses last year, i went to a truck parts store that sells brass fittings and got a 3/8" male to 1/2" female street elbow and also a 5/8" push on nipple with 1/2" male thread. put some teflon tape or pipe sealant on threads, assemble, and you have what you need. you may also find these fittings at a large plumbing supply house or big hardware store. the po had the 5/8" hose crimped onto a 3/8" nipple and that caused the hose to bubble at the hose clamp.easy fix...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma