Forward hatch leak

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Tancock

I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble with the hatch over the V-berth leaking. When we're sailing in the big ones and water comes over the foredeck we usually get a little gush of water on the V-berth cushion. Anyone figure out a simple solution?
Jeff Tancock #630 (1988)
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ted Pounds

Jeff,

We've had no troubles with the hatch on our '87.  I suggest you have someone spray it with a hose while you're down below and can see where the water is getting through.  It (hopefully) is something as simple as a leaky gasket.  Even if it's leaking around the frame I don't think removing it and re-bedding it is too big a job.

Ted Pounds
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jeff Tancock

Yes, I believe it has to do with the gasket - but it appears fine. I have removed the plexiglass in the past as it used to leak badly. After rebedding it was much better. The source of the leak now could be related to the gasket. Just replace it?
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Stu Jackson

Jeff

There is a superb article in the latest (or next to latest) issue of Good Old Boat Magazine about this very problem.  If you don't get this great publication, let me know, and I can scan it and post it to you by email.  Better yet, I'll do it anyway and send it to our FAQ webmaster, Mark Elkin, for posting on the FAQ or Projects part of the website.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

I echo what Ron just wrote.  Mine was leaking also.  Using the hose method found that the leak moved everytime the hatch was reclosed.  It was driving me nuts, then one day one of the rivets on the latch let go.  Upon looking at the strikers, found that both were loose to the touch.  Replaced the rivets on both sides, leak solved.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA