Bomar Saloon Hatch Model Number

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McGill

Production year 10/87,
Model Year 88
Hull # 588

I need to replace the left tie down dog on my main saloon overhead hatch.

I am looking for the serial#/models# of the main saloon hatch. This is located on the forward portion of the frame attached to the hull.  I can no longer read mine and based on what I understand I need this to call Pompanette, LLC. I have looked throughout their site, but have not been unable to locate what looks like the correct tie down dog.

I am assuming that boats produced around the same time as mine may have the same hatch assembly.
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Terry Forshier

In my 1988 C34 I replaced the whole hatch for $99 with a new (discontinued hatch) perfect fit. Terry

Sailing Steve

As luck would have it, I dealt with this very issue yesterday...  On our 1990, that hatch is a Bomar 1000 series, and I found a link to ID which hatch you have.  Within each model's page is another link for a a parts diagram:

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/6a297635cb1b6c0585256794000a001f/0d25fe6f5413d2388525679f000c50e4?OpenDocument

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/731d6514ff5a8481852567be000745b2/751bb433eae55189852567c8006b12ea?OpenDocument

Between Bomar's photos of each part and the parts list, you should be able to confirm exactly which part you are looking for.  I ended up buying what I needed through West Marine, but I also found another site, Hamilton Marine that seemed to have a very good selection, although I cannot speak to their business:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&keyword=bomar&Ntt=bomar&N=0&storeId=10001&Ntk=All_2&ddkey=SiteSearch

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/2,674.html

Confirm the part number from the Bomar site, then order from whomever suits your fancy, including Bomar direct.

On a slightly different note, Bomar states the following suggestion to deal with 3M 5200 sealant/adhesive that may become a factor:

Removing Hatches and Portlights Bedded in Polyurethane Adhesives.

Many boat manufactures in the past and present use 3M 5200 or a similar polyurethane adhesive to install hatches and portlights. This is great for providing a good water tight seal but it makes removing the hatch or port very difficult without damaging the gelcoat.

There is a product on the market called Anti-Bond 2015 that may help. Anti-Bond 2015 that maybe the solution. Anti-Bond 2015 can be sprayed on 3M 5200 causing it to debond without any delamination of the boat's gelcoat.

Good luck.

Steve
'90 Mk I.5 "L'Abri"
Hull# 1080

Ron Hill

Steve : Why not give Bomar customer service a call @ (603)826-5791.  You'll be surprised what a real person that you talk to, can help you with - rather than screwing around surfing a web site!!   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Steve McGill

Ron,

After looking in the Bomar catalogs at West Marine they suggested that I get the serial number located on the
front on the hatch frame and then call Bomar. This is what I am try to obtain.

CFSA Steve provided an excellent link for the 1000 series hatch. While some parts of this link appear the same the
tie down dogs do not.

Once I am able to obtain the serial number from the frame for a like year model I will contact Bomar as you suggested.

Thanks,

Steve

Ron Hill

Stave : I just looked at my hatch in hull#788 also a 1988.  I also have the height adjusting arm on the port side "dog" with a adjustable knob on that arm.
The serial number plate is on the fwd portion of the hatch and mine is - "88007609" . 
Good luck!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Steve McGill

Ron,

Thanks for the additional information and effort, much appreciated.

Steve M.

Kevin Henderson

Went out for a pleasant sail yesterday and upon returning to the slip and buttoning things up, we had a little accident. :cry4`
It seems we cracked the lens in our Bomar hatch in the Salon.  I've searched the pompenette/Bomar site for a replacement number for the lens only but can't seem to find it.  Is it possible to simply replace the lens and gasket?  I would much rather do that than to order and install an entirely new hatch.
Ron, I'm especially curios to hear your reply on this and many other topics since you boat is hull# 788 and mine is #789.
Has anyone ever replaced only the lenser on the hatch and how did you get it?   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ted Pounds

I replaced the lens on the hatch over the V-berth.  Simply called up Pompanette and told them what I needed and they shipped it right out with sealant too.  Often the best best way to find parts like this is to call a real person...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Kevin Henderson

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 14, 2007, 07:01:39 PM
Stave : I just looked at my hatch in hull#788 also a 1988.  I also have the height adjusting arm on the port side "dog" with a adjustable knob on that arm.
The serial number plate is on the fwd portion of the hatch and mine is - "88007609" . 
Good luck!   :thumb:

I need some help on this one: 
I just got off the phone with Bomar Customer service.  I asked about ordering a replacement lens for my Bomar Hatch.  They informed me that the lenses they are producing now are not exactly the same as those made for 1988 model year runs.  However, I could take a few measurements and they could provide me a replacement.

Ron:  I need your help here on this one.  My serial # on my hatch is 88007637.  That's only 27 hatches apart and since your hull# is 788 and mine is #791, I'm willing to bet we have the same hatch. That being said, I have provided the link to the Pompenette/Bomar site and I believe we have the series 2000 hatches (or very close).  I have also attached a photo of my hatch showing approximate size (along with the unsightly crack).  Basically what I am asking are:  If you were to measure your hatch dimensions, what would they be?  Customer service even asked to measure the height off the deck.  I'm going to get down to my boat and double check my measurements but If you were to provide your measurements as well, it would give a great deal of peace of mind.  .
BTW.... If I was to say from the catalogue which hatch is likely the same I would say it's the 2070-10AX

http://www.pompanette.com/pomp.nsf/0/CD47BC7D6912276685257795008055D0?Open
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Kevin : Give me a call tomorrow (540) 891- 5297 so we talk. 
I get tired of 2 finger pecking on this keyboard and I'm busy tonight!!  Ron
Ron, Apache #788

Bob K

Kevin,
How is your lens replacement project coming along?  I have to do same for mine, and am trying to determine best way to remove hatch so I can do the work in my basement over the winter.  I was planning on removing the hinge screws on the underside of the hatch top so I could take the top half home, but the screws look hopelessly siezed.  So other options are to remove whole hatch, or pop out the hinge pins, though the two hinges seem too close together to allow that.  Or I can just do the work on the hatch while it is on the boat.   Do you have a recommendation?

Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Kevin Henderson

Hi Bob,

one handed finger typing right now after just having shoulder surgery.  I have not yet started the hatch replacement.  Ill update when i
I do.  Good luck on yours and let us know what you do.   :abd:
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Guys : Not know for sure, but Bob in his 1992 may have a Lewmar like the 93 & 94 C34s !?!
Ron, Apache #788

Bob K

Hi Ron,
Mine is definitely a Bomar -  the Bomar label is still on it .  I saw an old post of yours where you also did a lens replacement, and removed the hatch so you could work on it at home.  How did you remove yours?
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay