Move it or sell it...

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney

I'm contemplating changing my job. When I do, geographic change is probable (I currently live in San Diego). Whilst I'm hoping to go back to the Northwest, I could just as easily end up on the east coast.

I currently have a '87 Cat 34 in terrific condition. I love the boat and it's been set up pretty much the way I like it. Unfortunately, moving expenses for the boat look to be at least $6K if I truck the sucker up to Seattle and much more taking it back east. Not to mention the sheer hassle of fiddling with the boat while I'm also trying to move the family and household.

While at least 6K spent on the boat is not totally unexpected (I'd have to spend at least that on a re-power), 6K+ spent on a move doesn't build any value into the a essentially 50K boat. So I question the value of moving it over long distances.

Any conventional (or unconventional) wisdom on this issue out there? It's looking like selling and repurchase of something similar at destination might be the way to go. But I'm open to ideas!

jentine

Rodney, Last evening I was wandering through the Catalina website and came across what may be your salvation.  If you click on the Links Directory and then the Sailing Links, then listed under Boat Swaps is a link to Boat and Billet.  When you arrive at that website, look around.  It is possible to find someone from another country or region within the U.S. that would like to sail your vessel to your new cruising ground.
This may be your solution without spending anything and you may even get something out of it.  Good luck.  Jim Kane

c34member

Rodney,

Try posting a note on http://www.1staboard.com/  This is a site used by new and used boat haulers.  You might get lucky and find a trucker who has an empty bed from hauling a boat in the other direction.  At least you can get a number of estimates.

Good luck.