Desolation Sound 2007

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray & Sandy Erps

Greetings to fleet 5,

Although we're not in a C-34 anymore, we're still sailors who happen to be heading up to Desolation Sound again the first three weeks of July.  Anyone else heading up?
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Jack Hutteball

We will be thinking of you as we will not make it this year.  Have a good trip!  Will watch for you when you are out and around after you get back.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

captran

Hi Ray,
We don't know where we're headed yet/  Will be put in the water Tuesday june 26th and provided all starts up OK will head over to cap sante to final provisioning.  we know we want to get up to princess louisa, as it's been about 8 or 9 years.  wondering about Vancouver, as we have never boated in to there.  But things are pretty open, as Ross is staying behind and taking english 101 and watching the house and working.  keep an eye out in case we end up in the same anchorage.  I'll check my notes on what boat you moved to from your catalina34.  take care.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ray & Sandy Erps

Hello Randy,

Our official vacation starts Saturday, June 30th, but we'll probably leave La Conner Friday night and get as far as Saddle Bag Island the first night.  There are going to be big tides that week, so we'll probably travel in the early mornings then take a break and start up again in the afternoons to take advantage of the big floods.  I expect we'll probably be at New Castle Island on the 2nd night, depending on weather and then we'll probably do our fruit and vegetable provisioning in Nanaimo on the following day, so we don't have to worry about customs taking our apples.  Speaking of Nanaimo, have you been to the "Dinghy Dock Pub"?  It's a pretty neat spot to check out if you haven't been there.  The place is stuffed with nautical brick/brack.  One of the things that intrigued me was that the walls are covered with paper money with boat and crew names written on it.  After that, we'll make our way back to Roscoe Bay where we'll probably spend most of our time.  We're going to make a run down to Lund on the 2nd week to pick up my mom and our son.  They're going to spend six days with us before we drop them back off and start heading back down.

We were up to Princess Louisa last year.  It still takes my breath away and it was our 4th or 5th trip up there.  I think you'll find that it hasn't changed and worth the trip.  We were just talking the other day whether we should go up again this year.  We haven't decided yet.  It really depends on what the weather is doing.

We've been into Vancouver three times, but we were just passing through, so really didn't check it out much.  It looks like some good exploring though.

We'll be making a trip to the fuel dock tomorrow in La Conner.  This boat holds 100 gallons of fuel and it will probably take 50 to top it off.  This is the first sailboat we've had where it hurts to fill it up.  The good part is that it should last the whole summer though.

We'll watch for you guys.  It would be nice to meet up.  Our boat's name is Nikko and it's on the transom as well as on both sides.  There will be a little one-eyed Boston Terrier on the deck looking for cats and he doesn't hold his licker well.

Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Earl Miller

Hi Ray,
looks like we will just miss you in Desolation Sound ... we are heading north on the 21st with the first night at Jedidiah Island.  We are heading over to Chatterbox Falls tomorrow morning with stops at Smugglers Cove and Egmont.  Based on your comments it sounds like it will be well worth the trip.  Diamond Girl is looking great.
Earl Miller, 1989 #923 "Diamond Girl",  Gabriola Island BC

Ray & Sandy Erps

Good to hear from you Earl,

We really enjoyed Diamond Girl very much and I'm sure you have her in tip-top shape so she'll be one of the prettiest boats in any of the anchorages you drop your hook in.  If you're stopping in Egmont there is a nice trail that takes you to Skookumchuck Narrows which is an amazing sight on spring tides.  I guess it's a destination point for thrill seekers in kayaks who want to ride the big standing waves that develop when the tide is running. 

We'll watch for you between Jervis Inlet and Desolation Sound on our way back down. 

By the way, where is Jedidiah Island?  I have one of those large scale charts next to the computer desk that shows Puget Sound to  the north end of Vancouver Island and I'm not finding it.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

captran

we'll keep our eyes open for you all depending on where we go.  I think Jedediah Island is in that little group of islands sandwiched between the S end of texada on the W side  and Lasqueti.  I seem to remember it being established as a BC marine park.  I've spent the night in Squitty Bay and False bay on lasqueti, but the detailed chart I had of Jedediah wasn't good enough to make me comfortable trying to get in there, but I'm just a chicken.  Anyway, have a great trip. we'll keep an eye out for Nikko.  Sounds like you cover alot more ground per day than we do.  Have a great time!
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ray & Sandy Erps

Some video of Refuge Cove and Princess Louisa from past years,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnjLgDt9-XI
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

wind dancer

Nice video and pics. Thanks for sharing!  :clap
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Ray & Sandy Erps

Greetings Randy,

It's July 4th.  We're two days behind schedule.  Had a raw water pump go kaput.  Spent three days in Nanaimo waiting for the  parts and repair.  We left early this  morning and crossed the strait.  As soon as the apparent wind angle was right for sailing, we put the cut the motor and sailed for about an hour before the wind died down.  We're in Garden Bay now.  No one else around.  We're going to take a break and then head back out when the tide turns.  We should at least make West View tonight.  If we make good time we may aim for Roscoe Bay.  Just thought I'd check in  case you got online some where.

Ray
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Ray & Sandy Erps

A great trip this year.  My son met us up there for a week and took a lot of pictures and video clips with his camera.  Here is a time lapse clip he took of the tide coming in at Tenedos Bay that I thought was pretty neat.

Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91X36by8H64

Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

wind dancer

Great video, thanks for sharing! 
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle