Spreader Fittings on Mast

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Glennon

While changing the boots on the ends of my spreaders, I noticed the piece they are mounted too had some "wiggle" .  I also noticed that the trailing end of the port fitting had a little crack, but nothing that apears to affect the integrity of the support.
I did a search here, and discovered that the "mounting metal" to which the spreaders are affixed is just slid right through the mast.... so I really should not be concerned that there is "wiggle" while the mast is unstepped.  I will just clean and replace the sealant that was around where it enters the mast.
Am I correct in assuming that I should not be concerned?
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Jeff Kaplan

tom, was just about to ask a similar question. as mentioned in a past few posts, my boat winters on the hard at a marina that is located next to a chemical plant that exploded last nov., day before t-givings, in danvers,ma. ins. adj. was at boat last mon. boat was not totalled, but she did suffer some damage, fixable. one thing he noticed, and tg he did, the port spreader was slightly separated from the mast and by holding the upper shroud, it can be moved about 8" side to side. i took a pair of binoculars and couldn't see any bracket or pin to hold spreader in place. looks as you said ,spreader just pushes into the mast. i too am looking for any input into this situtation. rigger is coming to inspect next week. thanks...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Tom Glennon

There is definately a metal fitting which the spreader slides onto, and then is through bolted.  Everything seems intact, exept for the "wiggle" I mentioned.   I am a firm believer in: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
I just want to be reassured that "It ain't broke!" 
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Bob Kuba

I had the same "wiggle" in my starboard spreader, but I happended to be sitting on deck when a piece of metal fell from above and landed right next to me. I had no idea where it came from, but I knew a trip up the mast was in my future.

After being hoisted up, I noticed a large gap between the base of the starboard spreader and the mast. The spreader wiggled back and forth about an inch and a half measured at the tip. But it was still firmly attached to a "through the mast" fitting.

A phone call to Catalina confirmed that there is a "Spreader Sleeve" that keeps the spreader firm to the mast. It slides over the through the mast fitting and the base of the spreader holds it firmly against the mast. The spreader has to be removed to install the sleeve. I replaced mine without taking the mast down, with an assist from the yacht club crane.

The sleeves are sold in pairs for $8.20 from Catalina. Part number F30619. This was for a 1994 Mk I, hull #1291.

Notice the gap and the missing sleeve.
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Jeff Kaplan

tom, i got a pair of the spreader bases, and had the rigger replace the port one. paid $56- from catalina for the pair, last month. they are epoxied to the mast. spreader has to be removed, just slid over the stub. when spreader put back and shroud tightened down, holds base tight so epoxy can set. don't take boat out for a day. these bases must be installed or the mast will fold and collapse. t-g the ins. adj. caught this...jeff

Bob Kuba

Jeff,
Looks like I got a pretty good price in 2002 from Catalina if you paid $56 for the pair in 2007.
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Jeff Kaplan

bob, looks like you got a great deal 5 years ago. didn't know the price of metal went up  so much. i paid $58.86 for the pair pt# 30619 from catalina. i am going to call them to make sure they charged me correctly, $29.43 each or was that for the pair. whatever, it is substantially more now.also, had to have them...jeff

Jeff Kaplan

just called catalina, price correct at $29.43 each, sold as pair= $58.86. what a price increase in 5 years, oh well...jeff

Kyle Ewing

Just to add my experience to an old thread, I found a broken spreader base the week before the Mac race, see picture.  I ordered from Catalina Direct (http://catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1953/spreader-base-castingbrc-34-c-36.cfm) who fortunately had them in stock--the person taking the order was surprised they were in stock.  Price is $40.38 plus shipping.

The replacement went as described in this thread:  Support the mast with a halyard to the side with the bad spreader base, loosen the upper stay, go up the mast, take the pins out and push the spreader away from the mast, remove the old base and replace with the new (including new epoxy), reattach the spreader, and tighten the stay.  Mine appeared to be sealed with silicone.

I had a rigger do the job and it took less than 1.5 hours.  If I had to do it again, I'd probably do it myself, or send a lighter friend up.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

rmbrown

The info on this site is astounding.  Thanks, guys!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC