Identifying dinghy

Previous topic - Next topic

wind dancer

How do people normally label/name their dinghys?  My boat is documented, so I don't need to put numbers on her.  Do I just put s/v Wind Dancer on the dinghy? 
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Tom Soko

Wind Dancer,
I think it depends on what state you live/sail in.  Most states require registration numbers for "motorized" vessels if they are not documented, and a dinghy clearly cannot be documented.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Jim Price

I agree, I don't have numbers on Lady Di due to documentation but state law requires numbers on dingy (non ducumented) with motor.  Just put numbers on the attachable plate and hang over side or attach to dingy if you don't want to permantly paint numbers on dingy.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Martin1951

In our travels we see a few variations. Some states have you register your dinghy, so it has a vessel number (e.g. MA 365 MVY)  Other states do not , and folks just name them, preceed with the letters
T/T identifing the dinghy as a 'tender' .    Hope that helps.    'Aquabelle'   #218

wind dancer

We don't have to register the dink in Washington State, and our boat is documented so we don't have reg #s on her.  I guess I'll just paint the boat's name on her. . .?

Craig Illman

Jay - You do indeed need to register the dinghy in Washington, if it's powered. There's an argument against tying the dinghy name to the mothership being that you might not want to advertize that the mothership is unoccupied while the dinghy is on the beach or at the dinghy dock.

Craig

wind dancer

Craig,

There is an exception in the RCW (88.02.030) for "tenders":

"(6) Vessels equipped with propulsion machinery of less than ten horsepower that:

(a) Are owned by the owner of a vessel for which a valid vessel number has been issued;

(b) Display the number of that numbered vessel followed by the suffix "1" in the manner prescribed by the department; and

(c) Are used as a tender for direct transportation between that vessel and the shore and for no other purpose"

Jay

Craig Illman

Jay - Thanks, I just learned something. I bought my Zodiac about a year before my C34 and have used it for putting around Lake Union and Lake Washington, so it doesn't meet all the criteria.

Craig