Extension for Saloon Dining Table

Previous topic - Next topic

SailDan

I have a late model (looks like a MK II)  keel-stepped 1994 C-34.  I am interested in building an extension for the dining table in the saloon so the that 2 or 3 guests sitting on the "port" satee can share in the repast with those on the starboard side.  The extension itself would attach to the port side of the table and extend across the isle.  I've seen a table extension on C-30's that use a couple of  "sliding metal rails" mounted on the underside of the dining table to support the extension.  However, the layout of the C-30 is different than that of the C-34.  The "sliding metal rails" could be adapted and would probable work.  However, there may be, in the words of the old vet pathologists, more than one way to skin this cat.  Has anyone built an dining table extension for a C-34 and, if so, do you have any plans or pictures of your project?

Dan - "Weal Sea", #1289

Ron Hill

Before he traded up to a C38, Bob Bierly either made or made plans for a side table extension.  Why don't you contact him.  He's on the ICW in Flordia, but has EMail.  Contact him at bojabierly@rivnet.net Keep your message short.     ;) ronphylhill@erols.com

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

I should have mentioned in my previous post that when I was considering doing something like you're thinking of - I thought of a drop leaf.  One of the biggest problems we all have on a boat is "where do I put that modification when I'm not using it"! A drop leaf solves that problem.  After I made the aft end a drop leaf (Mainsheet article)I decided not to persue the addition to the side.  Also entering that decision was where to put the waste basket that's secured under the table just aft of the mast. A thought.  ronphylhill@erols.com    ;)

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788

SailDan

I have the same extension leaf storage concerns as Ron but don't want a folding leaf hanging in the isle when its not in use. Those interested in a folding leaf table can check the C-34 "Technical Notes", Feb. 1991, Vol. #1 article by Terry Van Huss, HOAC, #675.
Dan, Weal Sea, #1289

jentine

I had a new table made last year and included a drop leaf.  It has worked out well and has presented no problems to date.  My major concern was that it would swing out into the passage when sailing.  That concern has proven to be of no consequence.
Jim Kane - #1207

cholder

I made a drop leaf extension for the table on my 1988 C34 using two heavy duty motor box hinges so I could dismount the extension when we didn't have many people on board.  The port side of the table is supported by two 1 inch stainless steel tubes that insert into stanchion bases on the underside of the table.  Crutch pads protect the floor.

I works well and is no great inconvenience.