Old Standard Lewmar Ports

Previous topic - Next topic

dgill

I would like to replace the small "O" rings on the opening handles for the old standard Lewmar ports.  I have several that are leaking from this area.

Would anyone know how to remove these handles?  The Lewmar site does not address how, but does address that the "O" ring in on the outside between the handle "button" and the acrylic.  I have tried to pry the "button" off without success.  Any help would be appreciated.

:clap
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

Ken Juul

On the inside handle, if you look carefully you will find a small round plastic plug.  Pry it out to get access to the phillips head screw that holds the latch halves together.  O ring look like a standard size, should be able to find a replacment at Ace or Lowes.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike Vaccaro

O-ring seals on the Lewmar portlight latch are metric: 12mm inside diameter x 2mm cross section diameter.  Available through McMaster Carr, p/n 9262K176, $7.70 for 50.   Closest hardware store equivalent is a #41, bit small but adequate if you can't find metric rings locally.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Bob K

Use a small jewelers flat screwdriver to pry the plug out.  My leaking latch was due to the screw stripping out of the plastic piece - had to replace the latch.  When I ordered a replacement from Fla Rigging, I was told these are getting hard to get, and may be discontinued soon. - might want to get a few spares.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Jim Price

Sounds like another use for the specilaized epoxy products.  Fill, let harden, drill, re-tap. Keep on sailing....
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

dgill

:clap
I just wanted to update the group, I ordered the "O" rings from McMaster/Carr.  I removed the Lewmar handle plug as directed, unscrewed the philipps head screws and the handles came apart easily.  The "O" ring is on the outside portion.  I have replaced all 12.  On my 1987 (hull #389) boat, they were all dry rotted to one degree or another.  The new "O" rings fit perfectly (2mm x 12mm).  This was an easy job and now no more leaks!  Thank you for the expert guidance - as usual.
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md