Yamaha generator & AC light

Previous topic - Next topic

DougP

Thanks to all the threads on small generators, I opted to buy a Yamaha 1000 instead of upgrading my house bank and adding a starter battery. Hooked it up today and played around. For what it's worth it:

Very quiet, but I'd still be very self conscious about running it in an anchorage.
Light enough to be a non- issue
Fits in the port locker

AC lighting- No problem for a couple of 60 watt lamps.
Portable  heater (West Marine)- Ran OK as long as the fan wasn't on max
Xantrex 20- Looks OK
Blender, small hair dryer, TV, small shop vac (OK, we were playing around at this point)- one at a time (with lights also running)- no problem.
Water heater- nope. Overloaded and shut down.

I do have a question or two:

1) The power obviously goes up and down as items draw power. Is this going to damage the charger?

2) The AC lights  on the panel- Usually both are lit, but with the generator only one was lit. Is this an issue, or is the boat just saying " this is 15 amps, not the 30 I'm used to?"

Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

Ted Pounds

1) If you're talking about the generator engine changing power that's what it should be doing to keep the voltage constant as the power draw changes.  That will ensure nothing (including the charger) is damaged.

2)  Not sure about the lights.  I know it has nothing to do with the amps.  It's something to do with the hookup.  Maybe the ground or neutral  is not connected?  I don't have my manual anymore (it went with the boat) so I can't look up how those lights are wired.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ted Pounds

I just looked at the online manual, but it doesn't show those lights.  My best guess would be to check the ground (green wire) connection first.   :think
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Steve S.

A question about storage.  I understand that with some generators, like the Honda, I have seen warnings that it must be stored up right.   

Is the Yamaha OK to store on its side?
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

rirvine

I gather that these comments only apply to Mark II boats:

If you are talking about the two AC indicator lights, then both being "on" is a bad thing.  One of the lights (green) is connected between what should be the AC active and ground and the other light (red) is connected between what should be AC neutral and ground.  For normal operation the green light should be "on" and the red light should be "off" when the AC power in turned "on".  Any other combinations indicate there is a problem in the wiring coming from the dock to the boat or on the dock itself.

Ray

Ted Pounds

Ray,
In 1987 (Doug's year) the AC panel had 2 amber lights which indicate correct power when both are on.  And one red light which indicates reverse polarity (hot/neutral switched). 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Here's a post with pictures of the reverse polarity lights from a 1986 MkI:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2620.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Doug : I researched the Yamaha 1000 and the Honda 1000.  The only real difference that I could find was did you prefer a red (Honda) or a blue (Yamaha)?? - Otherwise they were almost the same !

As Ted said you are't gong to damage the charger.  It's going to only put out about 20 amps max. 
Not too sure what your 2 amber lights are suppose to indicate?  and what's the difference between 2 ON and 1 ON means ?  :think

Ron, Apache #788