C34 Shallow Fin Keel

Previous topic - Next topic

catalover

My husband and I have been seriously looking at buying a Catalina 34.  We are searching yachtworld.com everyday for a good deal.  We are looking at something in the late 80's, however, we are confused about the draft measurements.  Are there 3 types of keels?  We have seen the standard fin 5'7", shoal fin 4'8", and the wing 3'8"-4'3".  We definitely do not want a wing keel(we plan on doing a lot of off shore cruising).  But we are no sure about the shallow draft fin keels.  Does anyone have information on them?  Are they less likely to sail straight? Is the rudder longer than the shallow fin keel?(I saw a line drawing and it looked to be longer than the keel which does not seem right to me)  Any info you can provide I would appreciate.

wind dancer

The early specs had the draft of the wing keel version at 3'8", but in reality it turned out to be 4'3" due to the boat weighing more than originally estimated.

I think the wing keel has a shorter and wider rudder than the fin keel version to keep it from hanging lower than the keel.  The wing keel is said to have lesser ability to point into the wind. 
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Chris Martinson

I have a 1989 fin keel tall rigged 34.  I was origninally concerned about the stability and stiffness after sailing my previous O'Day 30.  I have bee very pleased with the performance...in fact I didn't know it was a tall rig until I was measuring for new sail - it was sold to me by the previous owner as a standard rig.  Even with the extra sail - it is very stable and relatively stiff.  I haven't had it in real severe weather but I've been on a couple of days with some rougth seas and it handled well -stayed on track.  The draft info in the brochures is INCORRECT and above measurements are correct for draft - 4'-3".  Great boat...only advice on this era hull I can offer is to check for blisters, the rudder post for corrosion/pittting and may need some elctrical upgrades if not done already and of course sail condition. 

Chris Martinson
More Theray
Hull 945
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Ron Hill

Noah : I believe there are only 2 C34 keels - fin and wing. 
The rudders are also very different in length, with the wing being no deeper than the 4'3" draft and the fin keel rudder being about 9" deeper than the wing rudder. 
In actuality the wing keel boat draft is closer to 4'5" when fully loaded with water, fuel and belongings.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

catalover

In response to Ron Hill:
I understand that there are 2 types of keels as you say, wing and fin.  However, there seems to be two kinds of fin keels.  If you take a look at the 1986 brochure provided by this Catalina 34 owners site, you will see what I am talking about. http://www.c34.org/images/34-bw3d.jpg
Vicky

Larry Robertie

Quote from: Vicky&Noah on April 12, 2007, 08:21:28 AM
However, there seems to be two kinds of fin keels.  If you take a look at the 1986 brochure provided by this Catalina 34 owners site, you will see what I am talking about. http://www.c34.org/images/34-bw3d.jpg
Vicky

The dotted line is the profile of the wing keel, not a diferent fin.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Ted Pounds

Larry,
I'm not so sure that's true.  You'll note the spec's are "preliminary".  And the draft is listed as 4-8 which is a bit more than the wing draft of 3-8 to 4-3.  Also note there is no change in rudder profile.  I think Catalina may have thought about a shoal draft fin, but never produced one.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

catalover

That brochure doesn't show the same kind of dotted lines as the other wing keel drawing, such as the 1988-9, that's why I questioned it. http://www.c34.org/images/34c522d.jpg.
A broker I am dealing with claims that Catalina came out with a shallow fin keel in the 80's and he claims he used to be a salesman for Catalina.  I called Catalina Yachts myself but they have not returned my call as of yet.  I am trying find out if what the broker has told me is in fact true.  

Larry Robertie

For the fin keel to be shortened that much they would have to have really made it "plump".  You can't just take away that much weight and have a stable boat.  If you look at the recent spec sheet from Catalina ( http://robertie.com/images/Ruach/C34II_WSpecP.jpg ) you can see they draw the wing keel right were the dotted line is on the picture Vicky&Noah reference.  I know the one I reference if for a mkII, but they didn't change that much.

I could be wrong, and if I am I'd stay away from a shortened fin.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Tom Soko

I dont' know if this will help or hinder the conversation, but the C36 keel has been made in three configurations.  The most common are the deep draft fin and the shallow draft wing.  I've never seen one in person, but I have seen pictures of a shoal draft fin keel.  It's stubbier than the deep draft fin, and looks to have roughly the same amount of lead.  Very few were made (not sure about the exact number), and they supposedly were made before the wing keel became popular.  I suppose it is possible that the C34 has a similar history?
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Larry Robertie

Wow, that must be some stubby looking keel!
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Ken Juul

As you look at the specs, the winged keel is considerably heavier than the fin.  This should give both keels the same righting effect.  From what I have read, the owners that race their C34s prefer the fin because it is supposed to point a bit higher.  That has been the most common reason for fin over wing.  I think it also depends on where the boat is used.  West coast boats seem to be primarily fins, east coast are primarily wings. 

Make a list of must have/can't have and would like/not like.  There is a difference.  Enjoy the hunt!  When you find the right boat you will know.  It took me about 2 years to find mine, very happy I waited till I found the right one.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jeff Kaplan

vicky, my 1986 #219, is a tall rig with a shallow draft keel,4'8", not a wing. must have been something catalina was experimenting with. i sail in open ocean and have no problem with slippage, boat holds a straight course in all types of weather. nice to be able to be in shallow waters and not worry about grounding. good luck...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

catalover

Thank you Jeff.  It does exist!  :clap
One more question.  Is the rudder slightly deeper than the keel as it looks in the 1986 brochure or did they use a different rudder for the shallow draft fin keel?

Jeff Kaplan

vickey, they use the rudder that is used for the wing keel, replaced mine last year...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma