Shower Drain / Pump Questions??

Previous topic - Next topic

Sundance

I have a questions regarding the shower drain and how this is supposed to be set up. 

1.  Does the shower sump pump, pump into the holding tank, or out though the "inlet" for the shower/head?  I have attached the diagram from the owners manual and I am confused.  It looks like it would pass through the head to get to the holding tank??

2.  How should the sump pump be correctly wired?  Should I have to flip the switch at the main board and then control the sump from the switch in the head? 

3.  Am I correct by saying that the shower doesn't use on-board water?

4.  As a new owner, my guess is the PO did some "fancy wiring" in that the only way I get power to the main bilge pump is by flipping the panel switch for the shower sump.  This can't be right??  Do most people place a separate bilge switch located somewhere other than the main panel that allows automatic / on / off settings?  If so, where is the most common place?

Sorry for all the questions, but as a new owner I have many questions, I'm sure many more to come.  Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

dgill

Some owners have routed their showers to drain to the bilge.  The bilge pump would then be used to remove the shower water.  I guess the sump switch in the head would then be connected to the bilge pump - along with the "normal" automatic/manual bilge pump switch.

The system on my 1987 C34 - Open the shower thru hull; turn on the panel shower sump switch; shower, and as water collects on the head floor, operate the shower toggle switch, located on the head sink cabinet. This activates the pump which pulls the water from the floor and removes it out through the thru hull you opened.  As the diagram indicates there is a anti-siphon valve in the water removal loop downstream from the pump which is mounted beneath the head sink.

The wiring would be as required to run power from the Nav panel to the head toggle to the pump.

First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

Ken Juul

In the diagram, the shower drains through the head intake thru hull.  Chances are you will not be filling the wet bowl while taking a shower, so it saves a hole in the boat.  Check your boat carefully, many have had the hoses rerouted.  I switched the shower and sink hoses.  Sink now drains through the head intake.  Allows me to fresh water flush the head before closing up the boat.  Shower drain now has a thru hull all of it's own.

It was also normal to power the shower sump pump through the fresh water pump switch/breaker.  Thought being that you need to have the water running to take a shower.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Sayian

Ken,

Doesn't draining the sink into the head prematurely fill up the holding tank?

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I have a seperate breaker on my 12 volt pannel for the shower sump and a switch in the head. Both must be turned on to work.My sump is plumbed to the sink drain with a tee and the sump hose also has a loop above the water line.
The shower does use on board water from the fresh water tank. My shower is actually a pull out hose from the sink faucet.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

RV61

Steve,
First Congrats on your new boat.
My set up is the shower drain into the head in take and it does not fill up the head or the holding tank while in use. The sump pump and hose that leads to the T and drain seacock. When the pump pushes the water that direction the first point of exit for the water to move is the draining seacock thus the water from the sump exits there and not into the head. I assume that due to the valves in the head  pressure when the pump is is why the water exits at first point of exit.   
My 86 is set up so I turn on sump at main panel then actually turn it on in the head.
My shower uses fresh water and my head uses sea water.

As for the wiring for my electric bilge pump. it is wired directly to the batteries thus alllowing it to operate when both AC and DC power switches are off. You want to make sure your pump will operate if all your other power is off as if you have an issue while you are away or all the electric off you need that pump to work. If it does not boat fills with water. My switch is mounted just in front of my battery pack in the main salon.

One thing that helped me understand all the plumping and wiring was to follow each and every line and wire and once I was satisfied with the arrangements I labeled most of it so I would not need to trace what I could not remember.

I hope that helps 
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Ken Juul

Whether it is the sink or the shower drain attached to the head intake thru hull, as long as the thru hull is open the sink/shower drains to the sea.  Keeping the head in the "dry" position also closes the intake of water to the head. When leaving the boat, the thru hull is closed, sink filled with fresh water.  In the wet bowl position, pump the sink dry.  This replaces the sea water in the head intake line with fresh water preventing growth of smelly critters while the boat is closed up.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA