Props

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I currently have a 3 bladed prop I am very happy with.  I recently got a pamphlet in the mail about Gori folding props.  Compared it with the literature I picked up at the Annapolis BS about feathering props (Maxi & Jprop). Got me thinking, when I win the lottery, which to buy?  I like the Gori, but I worry about marine growth fowling the gears that open/close the blades. (I have to scrape my current prop about once a month in the summer).  The Maxi and J look very similar.  Lost the price sheet, so I don't know how the $$ compare.  As we sit out the winter:), anyone care to share their experiences on this subject.  I read the Tech Notes, found a couple of articles, but no real comparison of the different types.  Thanks for the input.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

PLKennedy

When we bought "Snow Goose" last year, we instaled a three bladed Flexi-fold.  I recal it was about $1200.  It has worked very well, and it is nice to back down in a straight line.

Peter

Roc

I've also read lots of stuff on folding/feathering props and their advantages on drag and the ability to back up straight.  But, so many times, I count on the prop walk to port to help me back into places.  More often than not I position myself to use prop walk.  Therefore, I'm not too sure it's an 'advantage' to give up prop walk.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

bjmansfield

I kind of agree with Roc. I guess what we need is selective prop walk.  Sometimes it's a real pain and sometimes it comes in real handy, i.e. you can just about turn a C34 in it's own length using propwalk.

Does anyone have any experience with the Campbell Sailor props re: drag and prop walk??

jentine

I replaced my 3 bladed prop with a Flexi=fold two blade last year.  The results are that it performs better than the old three blade in both forward and reverse.  The surface area is equal on two blade to the three blades on the former.  I also find it very nice to be able to back into a slip.  Control is great and no drag.