Loose Gage Pods At Helm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sundance

I have a pretty basic set up at the helm with the two original "pods" one with depth and one with speed.  My question is, both these pods are loose, but I cannot tighten them any more (either the screw has frozen in place or something else).  Has anyone else had a problem like this, if so how did they solve this?  Any advise is much appreciated.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

sdaly66

Jeff, who is the mfgr?

I assume they mount to the steel tubing?

Are you able to fully remove the screws or are they frozen from withdrawal as well as tightening?

Sundance

They are Edison (sp?).  I cannot move the screws either way.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

sdaly66

All right,

Went out to the Edson site and looked at the pods that they offer.

They appear to be pretty much like mine in that, they are two piece and wrap around the tubing.  Hoping yours is the same way.  so here's what I humble sugest...

1. Call Edson at 508-995-9711.  Find out the replacement cost in case the thing breaks.  You may decide not to mess with it. LOL.
2. Take some spray silicone or liquid wrench to the screws, get it in there as well as you can.
3. Go home and get a good night's sleep.
4. Next day, put a screwdriver to the screws to get them OUT and here's the deal.  Use the biggest phillips head that will fit in the slots.  It should fit REALLY tight and even be oversized a little.  The last thig you want is to ruin the screw heads.  Also, the bigger the handle (girth wise) the more torque you'll get.
5. Once they're out, inspect and clean the screw holes, making sure there is no corrosion or metal shards inside.
6. If you've gotten this far, you're in good shape.  Get new SS screws, put more liquid wrench in the holes, and reinstall the thing.

Hope this helps.  Pretty basic stuff but I've stripped enough screw heads to know that you want to avoid using a screw extractor if you can.

Ken Juul

Recommend PB Blaster, best bolt loosener I have found.  Many people use WD 40, but it is actually a water dispersent, it may help but is not designed to loosen things up.

If you can't get them to budge, carefully drill the heads off leaving the shank of the screw.  Once the pods are off, you can soak the threads some more and use vice grips to finish the job.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

sdaly66

I agree with Ken, if all else fails.

Also, once you have it off and use new screws, the thing SHOULD fit tightly and you should have no trouble snugging it down.

Sundance

I found replacement "arms" for the pods.  $90 each, I will try to loosen the existing ones, once the snow stops here in Cleveland.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Ron Hill

Jeff : The cause of your trouble is that the stainless screws are going into an aluminum alloy casting - no lube was put on those threads.  So when you get them free use some water resistant grease or lanacoat so they won't corrode up again.
On a sour note, Edson tends to use an "odd ball" number of threads/inch on their bolts!!    :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788