Honda Generator - EU200i

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Martinson

I've given up on the inverter route and replacing the alternator....some time ago maybe it was early this winter - i saw a very informative posting about Honda generators   ---- i believe it was the EU200i.  My recollection was it performed well and meet the needs of battery charging, microwave and laptops.  I'm not sure how to find that old post - any comments or concerns with buying this generator?

Also - for storage - my boat is remote - does anyone know if it will fit in the cockpit lazarette of a MKI 1989 standing up?  If I run it dry - any concerns about laying it sideways - if it fits.

Anyone who has solved the storage issue - i'd welcome any thoughts. 

Regarding the gas - i plan on running it dry each time and ideally storing it in the cockpit lazarette or in the locker just forward of the head...anything I should be concerned about?  the gas can i plan on keeping in my inflatable tender next to the outoboard fuel mix can.

Lastly - if anyone knows the best place to buy it

Thanks

Chris Martinson
More Therapy
Hull #945
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Stu Jackson

Chris, try a search on "devera" (because I remember his postings).  The posts that show up answer your question and give more links.  Also, a search on "Honda" would get you to many posts.  Searches are THE way to find those older threads which are still pertinent.  Buying online is always an option, but where do you live?   Anything else, let us know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Larry Robertie

Great piece of equipment.  I bought one about a month ago.  It's light and almost quiet.  It will crank out 16.7 max amps which should run everything you have.  You may have to experiment with the sequence of turning things on as the initial start up is generally peak draw.

DO NOT store the generator on its side.  The manufacturer states that this could result in oil pan spillage - I'm not one for finding out for sure.

I have a mkII and it fits well within the port locker, however, Hansen Marine of Marblehead told me that a lot of folks store this just before the mast.  That makes sense as it does not take much room, and if you can insulate the bottom some more you should hear almost no sound through the deck.

Gas - my intentions as are your's.  The inflatable is the place for it.

By the way, you will need a  pigtail adaptor ($50) to hook it up to the boat.

Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Ray & Sandy Erps

We bought one a month ago too.  On our first "test drive" a couple of weeks ago, we were getting 67 amps from the battery charger with the Honda plugged into the shore power receptacle.  Our local "Lowes" box store sold both 30 amp female and male plug in adapters so you can make up your own pigtails.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Ron Hill

Chris : The Honda 1000 will do everything that you want and fit in the port side lazerette upright. (MANY posts on this topic) 
The only thing the 2000 will do extra, is also power the hot water heater.  The 1000 uses less fuel, a little bit quieter and cheaper to buy!   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Larry Robertie

67 amps???!!!  

I also looked at the Lowe's solution, and found that I could cobble it together for about 20% less than the Marin co offered at West.  I went back to West to get the Marin co.  A good nights sleep is sometimes worth a few bucks...
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Larry Robertie

What Ron says is true.  I bough the 2000 because I also have AC.  Oh, and then there's the wife's hair dryer (she insists).  Um, and the toaster...

Well I guess you can always find more uses.

And I can't peg it entirely on the Admiral.  That 2000 will juice up a skill saw like you wouldn't believe!
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

67 amps is easly attainable with a BIG AC battery charger!!  :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Chris Martinson

Ron - is your 1000 able to power a microwave?  I had an 800 watt inverter that the previous owner installed but it couldn't power the mircowave...i believe it needs 1000 watts...thank you

Chris
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Joe Kern

Quote from: Larry Robertie on April 04, 2007, 06:23:50 PM
What Ron says is true.  I bough the 2000 because I also have AC.  Oh, and then there's the wife's hair dryer (she insists).  Um, and the toaster...

Well I guess you can always find more uses.

And I can't peg it entirely on the Admiral.  That 2000 will juice up a skill saw like you wouldn't believe!

Larry - Does the 2000 run your A/C?  Based on previous posts it seemed that was not an option.  
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Larry Robertie

After doing some research beyond this board I did find info that leads me to believe it can be done.  The trick is in the sequencing of activating your electrics. 

Basically, everything else needs to be turned off.  Then start your circulation fan, then the cooling unit.  Then, after the initial surge you should be able to run the rest of the boat.

Of course whenever I would use this I'd be on a hook so the issue is pretty much moot.  Nothing like a gentle breeze through the forward hatch to cool one down, eh?

Quite honestly though, for the extra $ I would have bought the 3000 had it not been so darn heavy.  Heck, if I could have found a quiet diesel genset I would have put that in.

Kinda annal about my power, ya know?

Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Larry Robertie on April 04, 2007, 06:14:17 PM
I also looked at the Lowe's solution, and found that I could cobble it together for about 20% less than the Marin co offered at West.  I went back to West to get the Marin co.

Larry, any specifics as to how you did this, or a picture perhaps?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

My 2000 will run my 12,000 btu A/C, but nothing else when the A/C is on. 

Storage when we are sailing is under the cockpit table forward of the pedestal.  At dock or anchor anywhere out of the way.  We run it dry then store it under the salon table when we are away.  It is a 4 cycle engine with an oil sump, don't store on it's side.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Larry Robertie

Stu,

It's pretty straight forward, just an off the shelf pigtail with a standard cord running from that to the generator.  I may be up to the boat this week end (if I can escape the family stuff  :? ) and will see if I can take a pic.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Chris : I can't answer your question, as I don't have a microwave onboard. 
I can tell you that my 1000 will power a freezer at home (while the power was out) that it's specs say needs 1000watts!!    :!:
Ron, Apache #788