metal filings from shroud-turnbuckle connection

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

Last year as we took our mast down, I left my wife to disconnect the shrouds. She totally disconnected the shrouds from the turnbuckles and struggled with it. (I usually keep the turnbuckle and shroud connected) When I returned there were metal filings by each shroud. This concerned me! The yard person said that it would probably be OK. There was probably corrosian and that that filings were probably from the turnbuckle and not the shroud because the turnbuckle is made of a weaker metal, and is the sacrificial part. He thought I'd have to just replace the turnbuckles. I will do a thorough investigation with a magnifying glass when we return to our boat... but what do you think?
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

tonywright

I think that the cause could be cold welding. It results from a lack of lubrication with something like Lanacote when putting the fittings together.   

Here is a very good article on the subject by George de Witte of the Nepean Sailing Club:
http://nsc.ca/telltale/March2007.pdf

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

sselinger

I would look very closely at the threaded end sweged to the shrouds. All the other parts are easy to replace, but if some of the thread on the shroud end are damaged then the problem becomes bigger because you either take the risk enough is there or have to replace the shroud or look for some kind of longer replacement.

I had a similar problem with a backstay turn buckle, but fortunately the damaged threads were those inside the turn buckle center part.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Ron Hill

Kerk : I'll guess that your open turnbuckles are bronze with a chrom plating.  The shroud threaded pins are stainless.  Seems reasonable that the plating is coming off.  I always spray some WD40 or lube the threads before I unscrew mine.
BTW, your boat is of an age that you might want to consider replacing the standing rigging.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

kerk fisher

Thanks for the feedback. You can believe I'll check the threads really well! And never let this happen again. If cold welding has occured, I'll guess we'll get off to a slow start this year. Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

Stu Jackson

Kerk, just buy a few new turnbuckles.  You have the shrouds down and right to hand, so clean up the threads on the swaged fittings and the deck end threads, and install new turnbuckles, Less time, less fuss and the problem's inside the turnbuckles.  Lose 'em, and go sailing.  Yes, the good ones are expensive, but there are only 6 of 'em.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Stu - Six? I have Nine! One at the bow, two at the stern, three on each side. I guess if you stayed on only one tack you could remove the leeward stays.  :D

Craig

Stu Jackson

Uh, you are right, there may be nine, but he did say "shrouds" and did not include forestay and backstay.  Good countin'...but we only have one on our split backstay, the two sections of the lower backstays go to the single where the turnbuckles is located.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : The MkI has 8 turnbuckles
          The MkII has 9 turnbuckles  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

So, with my '91 MKI 1/2, I should have 8.5 turnbuckles? Sorry, couldn't resist..... When I did my standing rigging last year, I replaced all my turnbuckles and toggles. There appreared to be some tiny hairline cracks starting on the toggles for the forestay at the masthead. I have my old forestay turnbuckle on a shelf at my desk at work. It precipitates some conversation.

Craig

kerk fisher

Stu, what are the good turnbuckles made of? Not chrome and bronze?
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

Stu Jackson

Kerk, suggest you check out the materials at C S Johnson Marine, here: http://www.csjohnson.com/

They make high quality turnbuckles and all sorts of other good marine hardware.

Ron Hill

Kirk : Hard question to answer as to which is best - Open or Tube liar. 
The tube liar are usually made of all stainless while the open tend to be bronze with chrom plating.   :?:
Ron, Apache #788