Universal XP25 Hose Replacement - The Freshwater Coolant Pump Hose 90 Deg.

Previous topic - Next topic

BMhoch

Hi all
I'm trying to replace the hose that runs between the heat exchanger and the fresh water circulating pump.  It's not the long 7/8" hose, but the 1" molded hose and bronze elbow that connects the pump to the 7/8" hose.  Has anyone else run across this?  My engine is a 1988 vintage Universal XP25, not sure if it is an "A" or "B" type.  The schematics call for a 7/8" hose, but the pump outlet is definitely 1", and the hose need to bend around the engine and clear any moving parts. Universal/Westerbeke isn't sure about it either.
Help!

Craig Illman

Ok, it sounds like you have the bronze elbow that sits by the alternator? I changed that hose last weekend. There was a similar hose left onboard that was from an automotive application. I just cut it to fit. So, I'd recommend taking the existing hose down to the local auto parts store and find a similar 7/8" hose that has the 90 degree bend. It fit on my 91 M25-XP.

Craig

BMhoch

Craig
Did you have any trouble making the 7/8" fit on the pump? Mine really looks like a 1" diameter, not 7/8".  Not that much difference, but probably a pain to try and make right.
Thanks
Bruce

Craig Illman

Bruce -

It went right on, but I didn't measure it. The old one hadn't failed yet, so I could have gone back to it. You might check with a Kubota Dealer on what size the pump intake is. There are Kubota manuals with part numbers under the "Manuals" tab from the top of the website.

- Craig

BMhoch

Thanks, I'll give it a try.  If I find out anything from the parts dealer, I'll post it.

Craig Illman

Bruce - It very well have been 1", I didn't notice whether the elbow also stepped up the size from 7/8" to 1"

Craig

Ron Hill

Bruce : I wrote a Mainsheet Tech Note comment on that hose. 
As I recall it's a 7/8" from the heat exchanger to the elbow.  In fact I used a piece of 1" water hose to make a protective sleeve to go over that hose, because that hose can chaff against the starter. 
A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ron - I think he's talking about the elbow to the water pump.

Craig

Stu Jackson

The Medalist M-25 Alternator Conversion drawing, showing the "upgraded" alternator bracket replacement, shows the elbow, part # 302150 to be: "elbow 1" hose x 7/8" hose"

I know that the hose from the elbow to the heat exchanger is the 7/8" hose, so the hose from the pump to the elbow has to be the one inch size.

I did the upgrade in 1998.  I see no reason that there should be a difference there between the M25s and the M25XPs.  I also upgraded to a 3 inch HX, so we should also match there.

Since it's only about a foot or a foot and a half of hose from the pump to the elbow, why not just buy a short length of one inch hose, along with the length of 7/8 you need plus one and a half feet, and you have both options covered when you get to the boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Stu - Thanks for clearing this up.

Bruce - I'd still go down to the auto parts store with the old one and see if you can find a 1" hose with a preformed 90 degree bend and cut off any extra length. It will surely be cheaper than the $23 from Torrensen's

Craig

BMhoch

Well, after a visit to a good auto parts store, I came away with an exact match for the molded 1" hose.  What's interesting is that the brass elsbow is actually a reducing 1" to 7/8" fixture -- pretty cool! About $12, and I'm off to finish the job. Thanks for all of the input, and just a note to new users -- this message board really works!
Bruce

Footloose

I also picked up the hose Bruce is talking about at the auto parts store.  It is Gates #20693. :thumb:
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ron Hill

Guys : As I recall the hose that we are talking about (port side HX to elbow next to alternator) makes an tight 90 degree bend just after the HX connection for your 1988 M25XP engine (3" HX). 
That somewhat acute bend means that you should use a wire reinforced hose so the inside diameter remains the same size thru out that bend, and does not restrict the flow of coolant!! 
Also it's not a good idea to use anything else but a wire reinforced hose on the suction side of a pump.  A nylon reinforced hose could collaps from suction!!
A few thoughts!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

Ron,

I hear what you are saying, however, the OEM hose was nylon and has been there for 19 years on my boat.  I have replaced the other hoses with wire reinforced hose.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ron Hill

Dave : The OEM hose on my engine and the other M25XP engines (3"HX) that I've seen - are all wire reinforced !   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788