furling main for C34

Previous topic - Next topic

breakout

I'm in the process of buying my first boat (been flying gliders for 25 years) I'm an old phart looking for a comfortable cruise and have made an offer on a nice 1988 C34. I would like to add a furling main to this C34. There appears to be two types available, one that furls the main behind the mast and another which furls the main into the boom itself. I'd like to hear from someone who might know the pros & cons of the two approaches and from anybody who has done this that is willing to share the agony or joy?

Ian

dave davis

There is a good article in Practcal Sailor Vol. 27-Nov 19-Oct1. 2001 It covers 5 different makes from:
1.John mast Hi-Lo from Bente Trading Co.
2.Leisure Furl from Forespare
3.Furl-Boom from Yachting Systems of America
4.ProFurl
5.Schaefer marine
If you don't have the issue, I can snail mail it to you if you give me your address.

I sailed on a 42 footer for about four weeks which had a in boom set-up, but I don't remember the make. We sailed in Hong Kong,across the Great China Sea and along the Philippines Island and I thought it worked well. There are some strict rules you must follow but once you learn them, it will work well.
 Be prepared to spend at least 7,000$. But you can still use your old sails with battens. Good Luck, Dave D  (davis_707@yahoo.com)
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

smithpe

Hi,
Spent my first summer with in-mast furling last summer on Lake Erie.  I can not compare it to other systems since I've never used them.  I can tell you that for this 61-year-old-man who sails solo often, a furling main is a wonderful tool.  It is so great to be able to reef the main easily and to suit any conditions.  I'm sure that there is a performance compromise but as a cruiser I'll gladly concede that for the ease and convenience.

Good luck with your choice.

Pete Smith

casaheck

We have been very pleased with the factory-equipped Schaefer in-boom furler on our c34.  Good sail-shape is maintained, and raising, reefing, and putting away the main after sailing are easily done.  The boom furler is probably safer than the mast furler: in the event of a mechanical jam, the sail can be dropped as with any standard rig.  We've had excellent support from the Schaefer folks, who visited twice during commissioning to help set up the system and train us to use it.  One caution: due to the large area of sail wrapped around the boom spindle, the design can only be used with a standard rig; it is not available for the tall rig.

Ron S

We have the in mast furling main on Lucky Star #1584.  After on season of use, we had no problems and enjoyed the ease of pulling out the main vs. raising it.  The inland sailing we do has variable winds in short time spans.  Reefing is easy, and I now do it when I should instead of waiting too long.