Survey tips

Previous topic - Next topic

sdaly66

Folks,

My survey on Hull 410 is scheduled for Monday.  Some of you will recognize the hull number I'm sure.  She's an 87 tall rig wing keel, late of Long Island Sound.

Assuming all goes well, I should have her as my very own by the 20th.

Does anyone have any tips going into this survey?  I know some history on the boat, but would welcome any advice.  I know the surveyor and he has a fine reputation, but there's nothing like inside scoop.

Thank you in advance.

Stu Jackson

Recommend that you read my reply #1 at: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3467.0, the weblogs reference.

You can get a "here's what's on the boat survey" (a simple inventory survey) or a real one in greater depth.  Lots has to do with the surveyor you hire.  You may want to consider getting a copy of a recent survey that he did to understand the depth of what you'll receive.

Also, a search on "survey" finds lots of hits, one is this one: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1947.0

You also NEED to be there for the entire survey.  Poke your head into EVERYTHING, and learn as much as you can.

Given what's been written in the weblogs, check the winches, open the electrical panel, check the key in the shaft, check the engine oil and water in the manifold, turn everything on to see it works.  Take what you know from your C250 days and use it all.  Same stuff, slightly bigger scale.  You'll do fine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe and Carol

Ask any question you want.  Turn, touch and operate every control as the surveyor does.  Take notes, pictures if you want.  Weight age of systems and lack or addition of equipment upgrades.  Look, touch, and smell parts of the boat. 

Everything will not be perfect, even on a brand new boat!  Begin to categorize repairs, improvements, remodeling, even "honey do's" so that the work does not overwhelm you.  Shipshape and safety should always come first followed by controllability under sail or engine power.  Then look to the list of accessories available in the boat compared to those needed, at a minimum, to sail, moor or slip the boat in the majority of weather you will sail. 

Next, look at the boat, in terms, of comfort levels for yourself and loved ones. 

Last, but not least, decide if you have the attitude, crew support and pocketbook to get the boat into the shape you desire. Best of Luck!  The Catalina 34 is a great sailboat!

WJP
Catalina 34
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

sdaly66

Just waiting for the report.

We took her out in them outh of the Severn River around 11:00 yesterday.  Yes, just when the wind was picking up from 15 - 28.  She handled like a DREAM.

Couple of questions should anyone have time to weigh in....

sdaly66

well that posted unexpectedly.

so here are the questions:

1. on an '87, is the shower supposed to drain into the bilges or directly overboard?
2. there a timer switch on the port side of the main salon, inside the sliding cabinet above the settee, does anyone know its function?  it doesn't control the icebox or anything else that we can figure
3. why in the world is the transmission dipstick where it is with respect to the heat exchanger (e.g. you have to finesse it out to read it)? ok that's rhetorical
4. has anyone changed their A/C outlets over to local GFI?  on this year, it's all direct grounded and that scares me.
5. what's the best method for cleaning the interior cushion covers? take them off and dryclean them?  this question comes from the "Admiral"

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Footloose

I will try to answer a couple of your questions and I am sure that others will weigh in:

1.  The shower on our 1988 goes to a diaphragm pump which then pumps it overboard.  The floor of the shower is below the waterline and it does not drain without the pump.  Also there is a one way valve in this line.  If it is draining directly into the bilge I believe someone removed the pump.

3.  I don't know why the tranny dipstick is where it is but I can empathize.

5.  We clean our cushions by renting a rug doctor and using the upholstery attachment.  Initially it took several cleansings but now they are clean and we clean them at the end of the season.  We also found that Fa breeze works well to get any smells out.  Our boat has a new exhaust riser so I suspect that it had previously failed.  The cushions had a pretty strong diesel smell to them.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Stu Jackson

2.  The timer switch is most likely for a battery charger connected to shorepower.  If you trace it back to that, and that is what it is, then we can help you out in more detail.

3. Transmission dipstick and fill point get used once a year, don't sweat it.  There are tricks for emptying and refilling : a simple turkey baster, or a large syringe, and tubing.

4.  GFCI - yes, most of us have, you only have to do the first one in the circuit for coverage.

If one of your posts does that, all you have to do is go back to it and click on modify.

tonywright

Re 5. Our previous boat was of '87 vintage with fabric cushion covers. We removed and washed them in cold water by hand and Woolite very sucessfully just last year. Lots of soaking required and numerous changes of water. Once well rinsed, spin on a slow speed, and hang to dry. We had no shrinkage issues, and they looked like new.
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

sdaly66

Good morning all,

Got a couple of post-survey questions to anyone who can help:

1. I didn't see a bilge pump handle, is there a secret storage place for it?  how does one get a replacement
2. Same question regarding the emergency tiller handle
3. Has anyone rebuilt the head pump?  Is there a model that was standard on the '87 model?  Can the rebuld be done by a weekend-warrior mechanic?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ken Heyman

re:---"1. I didn't see a bilge pump handle, is there a secret storage place for it?  how does one get a replacement
2. Same question regarding the emergency tiller handle--"

Try the port cockpit locker- on the left side- .
They should be wedged into clips on the vertical surface of the locker interior.

That's where mine reside.

Good luck,
Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ken Juul

Depends what kind of head you have.  The standard is the Groco/Jabsco.  Rebuild kit is about $70 at West M.  If you watch the sales, whole new heads run about $99.  After a few years the plastic gets brittle, easier to replace the whole thing than mess with a rebuild.

If you have a Wilcox-Crittenden, Raritian, or other brand, rebuilds are usually straight forward with simple hand tools.  When you figure out which brand, do a search by brand name and read how others have delt with the specific brands. 

Another good source to read about heads is:   

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/menunew.tpl?fno=31   

Peggy Hall is the hands down expert on the subject matter.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

sdaly66

I HAD TO LAUGH.

The link you sent is to a forum entitled "The Head Mistress".

You're killing me here !

But good advice there and here.

Thanks all.

Ron Hill

66 : Don't know which head is installed, but as Ken said GENERALLY you're better of cost wise to buy an entirely new head.  Who knows what will break/need replacement next!!  Just watch the sales!

The emergency tiller and manual bilge pump handles are pieces of approx. 1" pipe about 1.5' long and the pump handle pipe has a black ball on the end.  Hope this helps.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

sdaly66

Thank you all for the advice during this process.

I'm taking that great big cashier's check to the broker tomorrow to close the deal, and should take possession next week on the day of my choosing.

The broker was really great about clearing things off of the punch list, though a few items remain.  So you haven't heard the last of my questions yet.

Thank you all again.  I look forward to meeting some of you in person through the Chesapeake Fleet.