Converting Teak Dining Table to Bed

Previous topic - Next topic

Skipperjay

I have an 04 Catalina 34 that we purchased late last year. I tried to drop the teak dining table down to make into a bed and found that the surrounding
cushions blocked the table from dropping low enough to properly fit the middle cushion that sits on the table top. I had to remove all
the adjoining bottom cushions before the table could be adjusted the the correct height. That seemed like an very inconvenient way to convert the table
into a bed and I was wondering if that was the standard procedure or am I doing something wrong?

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jay : To get the table top down to the lip strips (supports) on the edges;  yes, you need to remove the cushions, drop the table and then replace the cushions. 
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Price

Jay, this has been going on forever.  My 1991 has the same problem.  In order to have comfortable seating, meaning no hard edges on the bottoms of your legs, you need full cushions that tend to ride over the edge. 

Not a great design, but the cushions work well for seating and you just have to be inconvenienced when dropping the table in order to have a tight fit on the table and settee walls.  You don't want a loose table under you when sleeping on the convertible double.   :cry4`
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Skipperjay

Gentlemen,
Thanks for your responses and I also read the previous thread on this subject. It guess that I'm not crazy afterall.
The size of the dining table is a tad too large to allow the table to be lowered on to the
wooden lips without pulling up the cushions. I thought of possibly having a smaller table custom
made but then it would be too small to fit on the border lips. Oh well....