Mast Head Plate

Previous topic - Next topic

amoreau

Hi, I'm going to try out the new wireless wind/speed indicator by speedtech this season.  I know I'll have to drill and tap some holes in the top plate of the mast for mounting.  Does anyone know the thickness of that top plate? :confused:
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Ron Hill

I'd guess that the mast cap is 1/4-5/16" thick.  Why do you need the thickness?  You'll have to go to the top to drill and tap the screws.  The cap is not removible with the mast up.  ronphylhill@erols.com   ;)

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788

amoreau

I needed to know the thickness so that the threaded bolt won't go to far into the mast and foul a line.

Ron Hill

Unless you drill on the far outside edges you won't be over the haylards/sheaves.  You'll be able to see the ends of the bolts if they go all the way thru. I used self taping machine screws - easier than drill& taping. Use some antiseize or grease on the threads to prevent corrosion and a dab of caulk on the heads to prevent backing out. Think about what else you mey want to do while you're up there; i.e. a TV antenna, lightening arrestor etc. If the other fasteners up there don't have it - put a dab of caulk on them.  ronphylhill@erols.com   ;)

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Another option to consider regarding Ron's suggestion to caulk, is to use Lanocote.  Lanocote is a material that separates the aluminum from the stainless steel, so there is no galvanic corrosion between the mast and the screws.  The mast plate may be steel anyway, so it's less of a problem, but anytime you put a steel screw in the alumnimum mast, it is better to use Lanocote than caulk.  A small tub of it costs maybe $10 and lasts forever.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kenkillian

Al, I'm curious as to the intstument that you will be buying.  I looked at a Speedtech about a year ago and the instrument that I saw only updated about every 3 minutes if I remember correctly.  I felt the slow update diminished  the usefulness too much.  Do they have something different now?

Ken, "Puff", #19

amoreau

Hi Ken, The unit is Model WS-112.  It came out in December of 2001.  I saw it at the Newport Boat Show but it was only a demo model.  I have it running at home and it seems to update the wind/speed around 5-8 seconds.  I'm a cruiser so this would still be fine for me.  They have a web site at www.speedtech.com. Any other questions I'll be glad to try and answer.