Cockpit light

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

I need to get a cockpit light.  I'm thinking of heading to a local auto parts store and getting something I can either hang on the end of the boom or 'tie' on with a Velcro strap around the boom (I have a loose footed sail).   
Has anybody out there seen or done something really great to provide some light in the cockpit?
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Phil Spicer

We use a $5 solar light. Set it in the cup holder on the front of the wheel. Try Lowes, Wal Mart, etc. Put them on the dock. We have 4 steps from the dock to the parking lot so that called for one at the top and bottom of the steps. If we come in after dark, the steps are safe. We also found a little LED lantern with 1 or 6 lights in it to give a low or high glow. The handle even has a hook for hanging. Solar or LED, the price is right if you go to the big BOX store. The solar is not blinding, but it comes on every night, and batteries................
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

DougP

We bought a few LED head lamps. They run off of a couple AA batteries for hours and have a three levels of  brightness.

Took the strap off one and the clip slid right into the zipper seam at the top of the dodger. The other two I strapped to the mast in the cabin and use as spot lights for the table and a piece of art we have on the bulkhead. When needed I can use them for working in the dark, hiking at night, etc..

Yes, it was a "temporary" fix that will likely be around for a long time.
Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

Paul Blumenfeld

The Davis cockpit light is on sale till tomorrow, Monday the 19th, at catalinaowners.com.  I have found it to work well for various uses.

Paul

http://shop.catalinaowners.com/detail.htm?fno=20&cart=11718697683207987&group=740

http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/marine_product.asp?pnum=03320

Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ken Juul

We have used a battery powered "coleman" camping lantern for years.  Around $15 at WalMart.  Have a short line I run around the end of the boom to hang it on. Move the boom a bit off center to keep from hitting your head when entering or leaving the cabin. 

We recently given the Dorcy area light.  Much smaller, going to put a D ring on the Bimini tube cover over the pedestal to attach it too.  It can be an area light or focused down to a spot light.  If the picture doesn't attach it can be found on this page. 
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?c=8

I don't have a 12v outlet in the cockpit.  Try to keep to battery power to avoid more lines running through the cockpit.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jeff Kaplan

wayne, just another idea on portable lighting. find a truck parts store of peterbuilt truck dealer that sells "maxxima" led lights. have them order you a pbl-620 aux. driving lite. it has 15 white leds, draws mili-amps, has abs plastic body and ss swivel mount, and is very compact.  i got one, went to radio shack and got a lighter socket 12v power cord with on/off switch and stripped leads pt#270-1559,8' long. i also got a spring loaded clamp from hardware store. spliced lite to power cord and velcroed lite to clamp. i now have a portable lite,very bright, that can be brought anywhere you have 12v power, and has virtually no draw on the batt. i'd include a pic but its on the boat and covered for winter. it's 3* today.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jeff Kaplan

wayne, you can go to www.maxxima.com, and click on marine lighting to see lite. this is one of my product lines so i am partial to it, also works great...jeff

Wayne

Thanks everyone for your ideas.
Jeff, I went to your site.  What about the fluorescent fishing lights?  At only 15 watts, would they be just too dim, or do you think they would work?
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Jeff Kaplan

wayne, those florescent lites would work and they give off good light. in the automotive business, we call them florescent drop lites. plus they have a 12' cord so plenty mobile and can be used for a multitude of tasks...jeff