Finish not setting

Previous topic - Next topic

DougP

Have to redo all the exterior teak this Spring. I want to use a Cetol type product, but avoid the Cetol type color.

I decided to try West Marine's Wood Pro semi gloss finish.  Fortunately, I had a test ready to go with the cockpit table and a new teak drink holder.

The table was old and previously oiled. I sanded, rubbed with alcohol, light sand and another alcohol rub.
The drink older was brand new. I used two alcohol rubs with a very light 220 sanding in between.

Finished them both.

While not the 4-5 hours the can says, the table set up over night.

The drink holder is still tacky a two days later  :x

Has anyone used this product?
Any ideas on the best way to remedy the finish on the new teak drink holder?

Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

Ron Hill

Doug : When I use Cetol on teak, I usually use lacquer thinner to clean, then a 50% bleach solution to kill mold spores - rinsing well with fresh water and then a light final sanding (to smooth out the lifted grain). 
I'm assuming that you did both pieces at the same time with the same can of Cetol.  So nothing should have changed except the differences in the two pieces of teak!? 
I've never had a problem with Cetol setting!?    :think
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Doug

Was it by any chance cool and humid when you did the work?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

wind dancer

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 14, 2007, 06:10:12 PM
Doug

Was it by any chance cool and humid when you did the work?

x2.

With high temps in the 50F range and 85% humidity the last few days, I'd say that's the culprit.  I'm surprised the other piece cured. . .
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Ken Krawford

Doug,
If you did both items at the same time and only had problems with the drink holder, I'd guess that the alcohol you used didn't remove all the natural oil that is in teak.  I've had the same thing happen to me.  The only cure I've found is to remove all the gummy product and wipe thoroughly with acetone.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Larry Robertie

Ken,

I've had the same problem with Armada (Cetol-like).  It seemed to be the humidity.  Check the can, its pretty particular as to the conditions it's looking for.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA