Getting my C34 to point higher

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacques

We race our C34 on Long Island Sound.  I find that I can not point as high as many of the other boats.  Any suggestions?  I use a new Dacron 150 Genny. We have no backstay adjustment.

dave davis

That’s a good question and one that is hard to answer. There are lots of factors that enter into the answer. I’ll give it a try and I know I’m leaving myself wide open for others to question. But, here goes. First of all, lets assume the wind velocity is about 5-10 since you are using your 150%. Sailing with a 150 in light air your C34 will not point as high as a smaller headsail in heavier winds. I only mention that if the other boats are using smaller sails in heavier wind and your caught out the with too big of a headsail…If the winds are 10 knots or over, you need to take the slack out of your headstay by rigging a temporary backstay. This is easy since our C34 has split backstays and can be done by wrapping lines until you go buy a real adjuster…In smooth seas and 10 knots of wind you can point high enough to allow the inside tell tale to lift about 50% of the time. In heavier wind it can lift 75% of the time; unless the seas are lumpy.…What does your mast rake look like? You can point higher if your mast is raked about 4-6 inches which gives you more weather helm, which is good to have…In 10 knots, keep your boat heeled about 10% by placing the crew to leeward…Unload all the extra junk in the bow locker except for the 13 pound anchor and minimum chain…Do not go to weather with your traveler which I believe is a big mistake that some people do. Stay centered and flatten the main if it’s old and too full…I saved the most important for the last. If your really serious, buy some racing sails from a loft that knows the difference…
   These are some things you might try. I’m sure others could add to the list…Good luck, happy racing…
 :eek:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Mike Smith

I owned a Hunter 34 about 10 years ago and used its (split) backstay adjuster frequently.  My C34 doesn't have one.  Does anyone have advice on installing one, and if so, what brand do you recommend?

Mike

Stu Jackson

In addition to Steve's reference to the FAQs, Garhauer last year came out with a very good looking backstay adjuster.  It's got two really well polished pieces of stainless connecting two wire blocks with a series 30 line block hanging below for the vang arrangment.  They can also give you a wire block for the lower vang if you'd like.  Cost:  $50.  Beat that!  Call Bill or Guido, a great addition.  Make sure you measure your backstay split.  Most likely will want to raise it.  Measure twice, cut once...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

c34member

I'm the last person to consult on racing, but . . .  Aren't most backstay adjusters properly used on fractional rigs, especially those with tapered masts?  It seems to me that with a masthead rig boat like the C-34 once the forestay is taught it becomes easier to flex the ends of the hull up than to bow the center of the lower stay supported mast.  Can you folks open the cabin and head doors when the backstay is honked tight?  I just set my forestay/backstay very tight and put about 6" aft rake in the mast and leave it so all season.  If I want a slightly fuller jib I loosten the halyard.

Stu Jackson

Charlie

You wrote:  It seems to me that with a masthead rig boat like the C-34 once the forestay is taut it becomes easier to flex the ends of the hull up than to bow the center of the lower stay supported mast.

The idea, as I understand it, is to tighten the forestay by tightening the backstay TEMPORARILY with the backstay adjuster.  Once off the wind, the tension is released.

You wrote:  Can you folks open the cabin and head doors when the backstay is honked tight?

Too busy sailing upwind when using the adjuster to notice.  Doors still open when backstay tension is released.  Come to think about it, the aft cabin door never did open when we were on port tack anyway, so we installed a door hold open device (simple cup & hook) so we could get in there just in case we needed something while sailing.  Head door always opens, always needs to...  Never honked it tight, just tension it some.

You wrote:  I just set my forestay/backstay very tight and put about 6" aft rake in the mast and leave it so all season. If I want a slightly fuller jib I loosten the halyard.

If the issue is "bending the boat" then it seems to me that keeping tension on "very tight...all season" could induce more boat bending than infrequent backstay tensioning.  I guess, Cahrlie, as long as your doors still open, you've got it adjusted just right!

I also figure that the racers amongst us have many more tricks about the use of the backstay adjuster.  Now all I have to do next season is to get the jibs' (yes, both of them) luff's lengths set up properly with our new roller furling gear so I can use the backstay adjuster which was installed when I put on the new standing rigging which went with the new forestay which went with the new furling, etc.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."