Fuel line fittings

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

A question for Ron (or maybe Jeff Kaplan), in assembling brass fuel line fittings, should/could anything be used as a thread sealant? I'm assembling an elbow, close nipple, valve, close nipple and hose barb and would like the valve handle to be pointing a convienient direction. This is coming off my Racor for a new diesel heater fuel pump. I've already discovered I needed a special nipple with an O-ring to tap into the Racor 1/4-18 NPT outlet.

Craig

Jeff Kaplan

craig, always use teflon tape or paste on all pipe threads prior to install. this will insure a leak free fitting. if using the tape, wind counter clockwise and leave the first 2 threads exposed...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Craig : I've always recommend and used non harding #2 Permitex paste for fuel fittings. 
Most of the threads are tapered and the sealant is really a "just in case" and a lube to get a tight fit.
I use Teflon tape and non harding "pipe dope" on water/gas fittings.   :thumb: 
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ron & Jeff, thanks for your replies.

Craig

Ted Pounds

Jeff,
As I recall, when I installed a new fuel pump (a few years ago)  the instructions said specifically NOT to use teflon tape.  I think the concern was to not have any bits coming loose and floating in the fuel.  When I replaced my tank I went with the #2 Permatex per Ron.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jeff Kaplan

ted, i'll speak to one of my mechanic buddies and report his opioion tomorrow. i may stand corrected as far as tape, but i will check if #2 is used or something different. if tape is applied correctly, it will not come undone. that is also why you leave the first 2 threads uncovered...jeff

Jeff Kaplan

ted,craig, you got me thinking, so i didn't want to wait till tomorrow to know the answer and  just called my diesel mechanic friend, he takes care of a fleet of 55 mack trucks, and  poised the question to him on what to seal the threads of fuel fittings, teflon or #2 . as i thought, they use teflon for everything and prefer not to use permatex for fear of "it" getting into the system. also, as stated, leave the first 2 threads exposed...jeff

Craig Illman

Ah, a good discussion! I was worried Stu was going to chastise me for not searching existing threads. Too bad that your friend has to work on Mack trucks, the company I work for makes the "KW" & "PB" brands.  :wink:  I guess I should have asked one of the fuel systems engineers.

Craig

Jeff Kaplan

craig, i deal with all the pete and kw dealers in n.e. up here, it's mack country. do you work for paccar?   jeff

Craig Illman

Yup, I do network security for PACCAR's IT division. I know the NE is Mack country. We just opened a new office in the Boston area. We're still trying to get market share back there. There actually are a couple other employers in the Seattle area other than Boeing and Microsoft.

Craig

Jeff Kaplan

craig, i was with the pete area rep, rich stockman, last week and he told me of the new boston office. i have 2 product lines in the paccar system, lifetime fenders and dynaflex exhaust. there are only 5 pete dealers and 3 kw dealers here in new england. a few of them have multiple locations. i do very well with them all.small world....jeff