Common Problems on C34

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

I'm looking at a couple of C34s tomorrow.  (We have outgrown our Snapdragon 26).    From everthing I read on the site, the C34 seems like an excellent boat!   Can anyone advise on any potential problem areas that warrant closer attention when looking at buying one of these fine vessels.   I'm looking at an 88 and an '89.

Thanks,

Steve
(Hull#:TBD,Name: TBD)

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Steve

Start here: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

Top two posts about C34s.

You'll love the boat(s).  Try getting into the V berth, and see how roomy it really is.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

joe

last year at this time i too was looking at an  88 catalina 34 which i bought in april. before purchase i went to this site and read back several years of postings. its not as difficult as it might sound and it really alerts you as to what to expect in this boat. several of the most active and imformative members own an '88. if you do this i believe you will feel comfortable with your purchase. good luck
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Stu Jackson

Steve

In addition to Joe's suggestion of reading back on this message board, suggest you check this out:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2629.0

Also do a search on the word "weblog" and see what owners of older boats have done when they first purchased theirs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Bob K

Check for leaking at the stanchions and chainplates.  Any boat of that age is prone to it -my C34 certainly was. 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

waterdog

Thank you for your help!   I think I would like to buy a C34 just so I can remain part of your community here.   Unbelievable resource.

I looked at the 89 today and I have to say I like it.   We loaded the whole family into it and the layout, cockpit, rig and everything about the boat feels right.   And it was kind of fun already going aboard thinking about the dozen or so projects I'd like to do on it.   This particular boat has a very nice clean hull and deck - every molded bit of fiberglass is in perfect condition.   Every stick of wood in the boat looks shabby and in need of some TLC.   The upholstery is worn.    The electronics look ancient.   the dodger is shot.   I swear they would get $5000 higher price if somebody had spent 5 hours with a bottle of spray clean and some paper towels and bit of teak oil.   In short, it may be the perfect vessel!   

Tomorrow I'm going to go back and go stem to stern and see if I'm looking at a summer of cosmetic work or if there are deeper problems that would make me walk away before even spending the money on a survey.   

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Steve

It sounds like you may have a winner.  Elbow grease is inexpensive!  :)

What we did when we were looking was to put together a spreadsheet of the things that needed fixing, could use fixing, or we could live with and do later.

Some of the boats we saw required more to get them sailing than the cost of the asking price.

Others were closer to buying and sailing, then fixing.

If the rigging and the hull and deck are fine, it sounds like they used the boat to party on weekends.  Not a bad idea, eh?

You can find the cost of anything either here or on our Projects and FAQ pages, so the idea that they could've asked $X more is money in YOUR pocket.

Good luck, glad we could help.