Remote Searchlight

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

I am considering installing a remote controlled searchlight on my boat.  Has anyone done this and if so, what advice can you give me concerning brand, power, attachment, and placement, especially whether to mount it on the bow pulpit, or on the mast about spreader height.  I intend run the remote back to the pedestal guard instrument pod.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

c34member

I don't have one, but it seems no one else wants to take a shot.  I would recommend the upper rail of the bow pulpit.  It will snag sails and lines if you mount it anywhere inside of the fore triangle between forestay and mast.  If you put it below the rail on the pulpit you will probably klonk it with the anchor or otherwise get tangled with the rode/chain.  I have a Pelican 4D size handheld dive light.  It's not a bazillion candlepower, something like 60K, but it is totally waterproof and casts enough light for my needs.  Very handy for locating dropped items when used with snorkle and fins, also.

Mike Smith

Thanks, Charlie -

The previous owner mounted a television antena at spreader height inside the foretriangle, and I've never had any problems with snagged lines.  I've decided to mount it just below the antena.  I'll keep you posted!

Mike

kmorton16@home.com

I have portable search light with a rechargeable battery which allows me to see 360 degrees around the sailboat.  A permanent mounted light may not be usefull at the stern.  Also, in an emergency if power is lost the self contained light would still work.
Ken Morton - Trident #1300