Salon Leak

Previous topic - Next topic

leisterf

Water is seeping from under the forward, port salon light.  The water is coming through a hole (previous owner) in the headliner right under the light.  It appears to be running down the wood cover to behind long wood strip that runs for  and aft, finally perhaps dripping out right where the stanchion is that has the vent for the holding tank.  (I have throughly checked out that stanchion.)

Where could that water be coming from?  One nut on the chain plate just forward of that point has a little "rust" on it.  The mast boot looks pristine.

Any idea on the source of that water or how to track it down

Ed Shankle

I'll be interested in what you discover. I have a similar leak; port side under the forward port window. It leaks from where the wood strip is screwed into the liner. There is some separation between the liner and the strip, so I can see the opening. Only leaks a little water, less than an ounce, on a port tack; and only after we've had some rain. I've rebedded the port window, chain plates, stanchions and caulked the boot. The only thing I haven't done is rebed the grab rail. There is no sign of drips or rust from the grab rail screws so I doubt it is coming from there.
I'm considering drilling a small hole in the horizontal section of the liner, just below where it leaks, so that if there is any puddling in there it will flow out.
As I said, I'll be interested in what you discover.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Don't know if this could be the source of the leak, but I've found (and read on this web site) that occasionally the factory didn't properly mount the rub rail on the hull.  When the rubber part came out of the aluminum track last year, I found there were three or four mounting holes through the aluminum and hull that were not sealed and contained no screws.  

Chuck Hughes
Sand Save
Long Beach, CA

leisterf

Directly under that light are two holes in the headliner.  They are not holes that match up with the OEM light or with the one I replaced it with.  So I suspect the previous owner did it?  The light  I installed had a round base which, of course, is upside down on the headliner.  It has filled with water and overflowed running outboard along the head liner until it hit the wood trim.

I will eliminate the chain plate and go to work on the two opening ports.

Thanks for tips on where to go.  I guess I will run the hose over the portlights and see what happens.

Re and Frank

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Re and Frank:
                                                  Water is seeping from under the forward, port salon light.  The water is coming through a hole (previous owner) in the headliner right under the light.  It appears to be running down the wood cover to behind long wood strip that runs for  and aft, finally perhaps dripping out right where the stanchion is that has the vent for the holding tank.  (I have throughly checked out that stanchion.)

Where could that water be coming from?  One nut on the chain plate just forward of that point has a little "rust" on it.  The mast boot looks pristine.

Any idea on the source of that water or how to track it down<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>