Chartplotter antenna

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Stolze

I am going to treat myself to a new fixed mount chartplotter this season. We primarily sail very close to land, rarely going off the coast beyond sight of land. Do I need an external antenna? I never lost a signal with my handheld gps.
Randy

Jon Schneider

I think you'll have to determine that based on manufacturer specs for receptivity, but, frankly, I'm surprised that there's such a thing as a fixed-mount GPS unit that doesn't require an external antenna.  BTW, if you're mounting it at the pedestal under a bimini, I would definitely want an antenna in the clear.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

karista

I bought the Garmin 192C Chartplotter with the internal atenna, so I could use it at the pedestal and also in the cabin (dual mounts). It has worked great, and often we cruise off shore in the gulf, never once lost a signal. If you get the external atenna you will not have the option to move it. My vote is , go for the internal antenna. :thumb:
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Stephen Butler

We use a 176C with the internal antenna, both at the helm and inside, and have no problems with signal reception.  Should add that we always have the bimini and dodger up and the poles do not seem to have any effect.  Just an observation.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Randy Stolze

Thanks for the replies on the antenna. The model I am going to purchase is the new Garmin 540.
It has a built in antenna and an input buss for a external antenna.

I have decided to go with the internal antenna and see what happens. I can always add the external if I choose.

-Randy
Randy