depth sounder

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

DO NOT BUY FROM MARINE PART DEPOT.  Do a search and you'll see tons of people have had issues.  I did buy from that site and did a return.  The site says 100% refund satisfaction.  I never got anything to say payment was on it's way or that my returned package was received (I did check it through the tracking number).  After numerous emails and calls (by the way, the message you leave on the answering machine is never answered) I didn't get any correspondence.  They never answer the phone, so don't bother trying.  Thankfully, my original payment was using PayPal.  I followed the PayPal instructions to file an issue with the vendor, and as soon as I put a complaint in through PayPal, I got word that Marine Part Depot was going to give me the refund.  I would suppose it's hit or miss with this site.  But after seeing the bad press about it, and the fact that they almost never refunded my return, I figured even if the stuff was given to me for free, I would never buy anything from this site.  It's better to buy from more reputable business site.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

patrice

Hi,

I did bought mine thru Marine Parts Depot, and got them a few days after order was placed.
2 days after buying them, I placed a new order for a swim ladder.  Days and days went by without getting an order number and tracking number.
I tried few time to contact them by phone or emails, no luck.  Last email sent, I told them to cancel the whole thing and was going to let Paypal know too.
Well I got a reply that the item was back order and was refunding my purchase.

So you can order, but good luck ;-)  you could end up on a good day.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: Roc on December 09, 2013, 04:31:15 AM
DO NOT BUY FROM MARINE PART DEPOT.  Do a search and you'll see tons of people have had issues.  I did buy from that site and did a return.  The site says 100% refund satisfaction.  I never got anything to say payment was on it's way or that my returned package was received (I did check it through the tracking number).  After numerous emails and calls (by the way, the message you leave on the answering machine is never answered) I didn't get any correspondence.  They never answer the phone, so don't bother trying.  Thankfully, my original payment was using PayPal.  I followed the PayPal instructions to file an issue with the vendor, and as soon as I put a complaint in through PayPal, I got word that Marine Part Depot was going to give me the refund.  I would suppose it's hit or miss with this site.  But after seeing the bad press about it, and the fact that they almost never refunded my return, I figured even if the stuff was given to me for free, I would never buy anything from this site.  It's better to buy from more reputable business site.

OK, I was about to order from them, but I have stopped now.  Anyone have a reputable source for these items?  Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

kwaltersmi

I ordered the control levers from Marine Part Depot in August without an issue. They were on sale at the time for ~$18 each. Nice, easy upgrade.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Dave Spencer

Catalina Direct has them.  But they're $68 each.  Kevin got a great deal at $18 if they're the same thing.  It looks like they are very close from the pictures on their website.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1061&ParentCat=475

http://store.marinepartdepot.com/stclha.html
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Roc

It's hit or miss with them.  If you do a search, and read what others have experienced, it's mixed.  When I ordered my parts, they were fine, but the fittings weren't what I expected based on the pictures.  So I figured I would send them back and get a refund...  WRONG.....  I then looked them up and found all the bad press.  I also read where others did not get what they ordered and had a hard time ever getting their money refunded, or getting a refund at all.  I know the price is tempting, but out of principle, I would pay more from someone that has good business ethics...
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

stevewitt1

Happy Holidays All!!!! :santa

I have to replace my transducer this spring.  Datamarine 200khz for my Dart system.  I found one on Ebay, lowered over the side at my dock and it works great(my old one tested good according to the test method in my manual).  My old one is located just forward and starboard of the bilge. It is under the cabin floor and there is no access hole above it.  It was installed without the lock nut ring on the inside.  It appears to have just been epoxied on the inside of the hull so believe if I want to remove it I will have to do it in pieces. 
Has anyone ever drilled through a transducer??  I just wonder what to expect.

Steve
visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

Jim Hardesty

Steve,
First look at the outside of the hull and make sure it is just epoxyed to the hull. Then try a couple of hard taps to the side of the transducer.  Hopefully the surface wasn't well prepaired.  If it doesn't remove easy, I would just cut the wires and leave it.  May be with a note that it's from a previous depthsounder.
Just a thought,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

John Langford

I have the shiny chromed Edson handles on my MK II engine controls. No question that the handles are very strong but one day while underway inside Cap Sante Marina at Anacortes, WA, The stainless steel bolt on the gear shift control sheared leaving me in forward with the vice grips down below in my tool kit. It is quite a sensation to be staring at the handle in your hand while the boat is heading down one of the fairways! No system, however robust, is foolproof.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S