Galley equipment

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use your oven (not the cooktop, but oven only)

A lot
0 (0%)
Regularly
18 (33.3%)
A little
24 (44.4%)
Never
9 (16.7%)
Never to the point that you'd remove it
3 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Jon Schneider

Joe & Carol of s/v YachtaSea posted a question recently seeking ideas for use of the space that the stove takes up since they don't cook aboard at all (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3372.0).  I wondered how many others feel the same way specifically about the oven, because I could envision removing the stove and replacing it with a gimballed two-burner cooktop (enough to make a stew or bacon and eggs) while utilizing the remaining space for storage.  I wonder how many others feel similarly about their ovens (i.e., they're a waste of space).
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Juul

The oven is only a waste of space if you don't use it.  It is the storage area for 2 frying pans, a stove top toaster, broiler pan, couple backing pans and a cookie sheet.   We probably are over kill on cooking equipment, but it sure is nice to have a loaner if a dock/raft up mate needs something.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Sayian

We've used ours to bake brownies, muffins, keep pancakes and bacon warm, and roast vegetables.  The propane oven is fast and easy.

We did ditch the microwave and bought a door from Catalina to turn the space into storage. 
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Stu Jackson

We use the oven occasionally for cooking (scones for breakfast comes to mind!).  Good idea to use for storage, too.  We keep the oven door closed by wrapping shock cord around the handle to the bar at the edge of the cook-top, since we've had stuff fly out of the oven when the door opened on starboard tacks.  We installed a combined inverter charger (Heart/Freedom 15) in 1998 when we first bought the boat to power the microwave when away from the dock. The microwave was installed by the PO below the galley sink.  We use the microwave and the cook-top regularly when onboard, even for daysails.  I remember that Al Watson may have done something that Jon mentioned, about removing the oven.  Suggest you check Projects and find Captain Al's homepage and check it out, might be when he redid the galley counter.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kyle Ewing

An added benefit to using the oven is it takes the chill off on cool Lake Michigan mornings or evenings.  Mine is used much more in the spring and fall than summer.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Ron Hill

We use the oven about once a week.  We make alot of muffins, bake bread and heat Horde-Ors & deserts for raftups.  As already mentioned it takes the chill off the cabin in early spring and late fall - not in the hot summer. 
FYI, we let the bread rise by sitting it on the warm engine.
Stu, you need to call Seaward and get some new springs for that oven door !  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

It's not the oven door springs, it's our tacking technique!   :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Still think you need at least one new spring.  I believe that my boat could be in a rollover and nothing would come out of that oven!! 
My door springs are VERY tight.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

skip

When we go cruising we use the oven all the time.     We try to plan dinners that bake and will often bring pre-made frozen lasagna or chicken parmigiana, whole chicken, roasts etc since they don't require much tending and hit the spot when you are sailing long distances.    We also bake muffins and breads.
We also store stuff in it when not in use without fear of the door opening.   If it opens it's time to reef.....
Michael & Helene Scipione - Virtual Reality 840
Lincroft, New Jersey