Pedestal Mount Engine Panel

Previous topic - Next topic

sedelange

Post 1994/95 Catalina started installing the engine control panel on the pedestal.  Has anyone retrofitted an older C34 with a pedestal mounted engine panel?  I am considering the upgrade and i would like to fill the existing engine panel hole when we start painting the boat next week. 
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Mike Smith

Sounds like a good idea to me! I've replaced the panel, pedestal, and pedestal guard on Breezer and I didn't run into anything that would stop you.  If you do this, be sure to take a lot of pictures and post them here.

Mike

Jon Schneider

Wow, that seems like a massive amount of work for a two foot gain.  Are you painting the whole deck and cockpit? 

You'll probably want to re-wire, but it may be possible to simply re-route the existing wiring.  The engine shut-off cable should also reach when you re-route it, but I think that's the biggest question mark for the project.  The cut-off cable is now a simple in-line pull; I'm not sure you'll have enough room in the new pedestal-mounted panel box to snake the cable into it and gently bend it to continue allowing an in-line pull.  You may have to install a mechanical elbow in the pedestal. 

If you do this, take lots of pictures of the prep and progress; it'll make for an interesting article for Tech Notes.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

sedelange

The rewire is likely as I am also installing new Raymarine sailing instruments, S1 autopilot, C80 chartplotter and VHF 240.  Rewire should be easy as the boat has been gutted.  An alternative I am considering is installing a NMEA2000 module to send engine data to C80 display.  That would mean I would only need to install switches and indicator lights which would fit on the C80/VHF navpod.

The shutoff cable is not a major issue as I am installing an electric shutoff solenoid.  While it is possible to install it in parallel with the shutoff cable, I don't really see the need as the lever on the motor is not difficult to access.

I regards to paint, the entire boat is beint repainted.  All of the fittings, stanchions, tracks, and woodwork have been removed for refurbishment or replacement and we will start repairing the surface flaws Monday in preparation for paint.

As far as photos, there are not many of the disassembly because my camera was being repaired. (My wife decided to check the carryon that contained the camera case on our return trip from Europe and the bags ended up traveling for 7 more days to places unknown.  Camera returned damp and inoperable.) I will start obtaining photos of the mods and reassembly. 

Steve
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Jon Schneider

That sounds like some renovation!  You're going to put the rest of us to shame.  Good luck with it.  Are you doing the work yourself?  How are you treating the non-skid parts of the deck?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

sedelange

Doubt I put anyone to shame, I just had farther to go.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Ron Hill

Steve : The newer MKIIs do have the engine instrument panel on the steering pedestal in BUT.  I think it's too low and don't like to move back to read the engine instruments - something to consider !!   
Before I'd go through all the work of lengthening/shortening/readjusting all of those wires and cables, I recommend that you really study what you're about to do vrs what you'll gain.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Steve, we will be in your area come July.  We are sailing from Tampa Bay over to Houston.  Can you recommend a particularly good marina or boat yard in which to store our C34 on the hard?  Would appreciate any advice.  And your project is a "whopper!"  We did the same with an Irwin 23, many many years ago and it still hurts to think about it...doing a C34 must be several quantum leaps above this. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

sedelange

Where are you stopping in the Houston area?  Most marinas are around Clear Lake which is on the west side of Galveston Bay.  Keeping on the hard cost nearly as much as in the water in this area.  Another consideration is how long are you going to be out of the water?
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

SeaFever

Steve,

Did you end up mounting the engine control panel on the pedestal? Where did you get the tray/enclosure from? I'd love to know how your project went. I think it is a great idea. Please let us know.

Thanks,

Mahendra
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Norris Johnson

Steve and Steve,

I'm also located on Galveston Bay in Harborwalk Marina located on the Northwest side of West Galveston Bay, near the town of Hitchcock.
I had a 34 but it was "Ike'd". I replaced it with a 36 ft Catalina. It was the closest I could find to the 34.

Harborwalk is an upscale Marina opened in 2007. We have an nice restaurant, salt water pool, and ship store. They have a website. Just Goggle Harborwalk Galveston, Tx.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

sedelange

I removed the instrument panel and built a glove box out of fiberglass to fill the space.  mak3ed a great location for keys and cell phone whne i first get on the boat.

I did not end up using the later instrument panel pod.  Instead I replace all wiring and ran it to the new instrument pod that hold the chartplotter.  Installed the switches and indicator lights or oil pressure, water temp, and alternator.  I also installed a stop push button wired to a solenoid to replace the push pull cable.  The instrument data were replace by sending signal to the Raymarine C80 chartplotter to display the engine data.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

SeaFever

Steve D,

Wow,

That was some project! Impressive! I am in process of replacing my Atomic 4 with a M25 and would love to get more information from you. My current slot for the instrument panel is smaller than what I need for the new 13.5" x 5.5" panel. hence I have to improvise. Is it possible for you to post some more info/pictures? Many people will surely benefit from it.

Thanks,

Mahendra
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA