Hull Windows

Previous topic - Next topic

sedelange

I have a 1986 C34 that I have stripped the interior for refurbishing.  I am going to replace the cabinets over the dinette and settee with cabinets similar to the current production cabinets.  I am going to install windows like the later boats.  I called Catalina Parts and they wanted to know if I had aluminum frames or not.  The girl couild not understand that I had no window at all.  My question is  - which type of rame do you have on your hull windows, aluminum or plastic?  Would you prefer one over the other?

Steve DeLange
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Ron Hill

Steve : I believe that I'd go for the Aluminum frames for your hull fixed ports. 
Those hull windows sure do open up the interior and make it brighter, BUT you're going to loose a bunch of storage!    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

steve, the '86 models did not have alum. frames, just plexi glass, or lexan, sealed and screwed into the hull. let catalina know that. you may have to alter the frames to accommodate the alum frames of the newer models. i got my ports replaced, in basement, awaiting spring to install...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Steve Sayian

Steve,

I have a 1999 MK II and she has aluminum window frames.  I have recaulked them and they are easy to remove and install.  They come with a plastic interior decorator ring that hides the hardware that holds the window in-place (fastened by velcro).

Good luck,

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Craig Illman

If your budget allows for something nicer than the current models, check out www.newfoundmetals.com for their stainless portlights. My friend is replacing her portlights on her Ericson 34 with their trimatrix model.

Craig

sedelange

Craig:

The price is not that much more, but they stick into the cabin further than I would like.  I am replacing the ones in upper cabin with units that are more flush than the exisiting Beckson windows, so I can have shades that I can hide behind an upper teak trim piece I am installing.  In this thread I am more curious about the windows below the rubrail on the hull sides.  I was leaning towards the aluminum and was just seeking input.  Looks like I will order aluminum. 

Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Jeff Kaplan

steve, if i now understand what you are trying to do, as i own an '86, are you going to cut thru thr hull to install new ports. if so, please publish pictures and how you went about it, so we with older boats can see how it looks. thanks...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jon Schneider

I've often wondered if many people with windows in their topsides (1994+?) are highly susceptible to leaks.  Do many people have problems with them?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

sedelange

Jeff, No problem with pictures. Currently the boat is stripped of everything (tanks, plumbing, woodwork, windows, engine, etc).  We cut the liner to take the step out that held the shelf on each side.  We will be reshaping the liner tomorrow to match the hull contour, so the windows will fir properly.  As I start cutting and installing items, I will take pictures.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas