C 34's INCLUDED IN SAILING MAGAZINE FEATURE THIS MONTH

Previous topic - Next topic

sailmed

CATALINA 34'S FIGURE PROMINENTLY IN THIS MONTH'S "SAILING" MAGAZINE (the one that's an oversized format)
The article discusses well proven boats that are worth purchasing and "refitting".  It's not highly technical , but it is laudatory.
Nice to see the recognition in the press.

Jon Schneider

I couldn't find it in the November issue ("40th Anniversary"), which is the most recent I have.  Which issue?  The December issue?  Guess I'll have to wait, if that's the case.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Steve Sayian

Just ran out and got a copy.  The photo of the 34 under sail is not like any 34 I've ever seen.  Maybe a complete redo???

Merry Christmas to all!
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Mike Smith

Jon -

It's the January 2007 issue.  the article details the retrofittng of Flying Scots, J/105s, Catalina 34s, and Norseman 447s, so we're in good company.  All the improvements they made have been covered in detail on this board, or in the Mainsheet.

Mike

Jon Schneider

Finally got the magazine.  Okay, that's some "retrofit."  Look at the picture on p. 53 under the caption, "The Catalina 34, in all its incarnations, is a beloved and capable cruiser."  Apparently, this "incarnation" is, I'm guessing, a C42 MkI.  That's what it feels like, though it could be an early model 380 or possibly the short-lived 390.  It's sure for shooting no C34.  Look at the coach roof hatches (e.g., no center hatch aft of the mast).  Look at the teak coaming hole tops.  Look at that transom; definitely a different sugar scoop than I've got (and, BTW, this was supposed to be a pre-walk-through 1989 model... now that's a real retrofit!)  Finally, that spreader's too low to be the only one (or why do I get nose-bleeds when I ascend to mine?), and there's only a single port-side chainplate.  Nevertheless, she's a beautiful boat (don't tell my boat I said that) and a great shot.
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Guy's : I completely agree with Jon. 
The sail # of "308" should be a 1986/87 C34 - beside not having the correct deck hatch opening configuration of a C34!!  This "owner" named Bob Pingel (writer of the article) is NOT the owner of the C34 he wrote about or pictured!!  He may not be an owner at all !

His engine is a M25 Universal? with a 2 inch heat exchanger?  That engine was standard in the 1986 and some of the very early 1987s.  I've never heard of an M25 being installed in a 1989 that he "supposedly" bought.

Although it wasn't mentioned the boat must have refrigeration as the "batteries seemed a bit soft", so they changed out the house batteries, added a starting battery and the engine/shore charging systems.  Not necessary if you don't have a "reefer".  Selection of 4 golf carts is a great choice, but you CAN get 3 AGM group 31's in that battery compartment!

All in all it was a passable article, but an owner(?) he probably isn't, and for sure Bob didn't read the info on our web site!!!!   

Think this is like an early Practical Sailor review of the C34 (1989?) where they talk about the "balsa core" in the C34 deck!!!!       :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

I sent a "Letter to the Editor" of Sailing magazine pointing out a few of their discrepancies in their C34 Retrofit article.  I told them I suspected that the picture of a "Catalina 34" on page 53 was really that of a 1990/91 Catalina 42.

I also reminded them that I was the same guy that called and let them know about their Bo Bo in the early 1990s. 
Seems, their Wind in the Rigging suppler had a "Knot Tieing" T Shirt.  The knots were depicted, so you could look down and then tie that knot.  The problem that I pointed out to them (back then) was that the "Sheet Bend" depicted on the T Shirt was tied improperly!!

Wonder if they'll publish my letter?  Interesting   :rolling
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA