Overhead Salon Hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

In the picture of Lucky Dog on the home page the overhead salon hatch opens forward.  On my MK1.5 it opens facing aft.  Did they change the way it opens on the MKIIs or is mine in backward?  I always thought it made more sense to have it open forward for ventilation underway.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Joe Kern

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Mike Vaccaro

Ken,

Don't know about the position of the hatch on the coach roof of newer boats, but our 88' opens aft to allow it to clear the vang and remain open underway.  It's certainly possible to install the hatch to open in either direction, but if you intend to open it amongst the running rigging while underway, you'll need to ponder whether or not rigging will run fair without damaging the hatch.  The aft opening hatch serves as a nice vent when underway and acts as a good wind catcher when tied up at the dock with the wind aft of the beam. 

Occasionally, we re-route the mainsheet directly from the base of the mast aft to the rope clutch via the fairlead on the traveller--this greatly reduces friction in the system; but when we do, it's not practical to open the hatch under way.  Additionally, with the vang amidships, it would be difficult to open the hatch and it would be possible to have the vang catch the hatch during a gybe.

Our working headsail is a 100% jib with a high cut clew.  Keeping the clew high allows us, amongst other things, to keep the forward hatch open underway for ventilation when conditions permit.  For simply knocking around, cruising and off-shore sailing, there are quite a few advantages to having a high cut clew.  A relatively inexpensive way to create a sail like this is to cut an old 130-155.  For maximum boat performance, however, a low-cut sail is appropriate for a Cat 34 rig.  When we fly our 155% genny, a true deck sweeper, we need to keep the hatch dogged to prevent a snag.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Ron Hill

Ken : I believe that the MKII hatches open forward and the MKI center hatches open aft.  Why? ask Catalina.  I'll guess that when the factory retooled for the MKII they took into account the suggestion from owners that the should hatch open forward.  I can only open mine (aft) to 60 degrees because the rigid vang is in the way.
At anchor you're much better with it opening forward.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

David Sanner

I believe that they layout on the MkII permits the hatch to open completely.
If it opened the other way it would hit the vang.

Has anyone replaced their hatch with a larger size?  Going to a hatch just a few
inches larger would double the surface area really lighten things up below decks.
(noted on a friends 40' boat which would have otherwise been very dark)
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ken Juul

Thanks for the replys, it all makes sense.  I don't see many MkIIs, I'm sure there are quite a few differences if a Mk I & II were parked next to each other.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Price

Ken, just to add to the year versions, Lady Di is 1991 #1119 - salon hatch opens aft (and barely clears under the solid Garhauer boom vang.  It would not work the other way due to the vang.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA