Garhauer Mainsheet Blocks

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

I also installed compression tubes inside the boom because of the corrosion of the stainless bolts through the aluminum boom.  Jon Arck's "de-booming" outside the Golden Gate in an unplanned gybe gave us the idea.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Cleaned up a bit
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Bail and compression tube (before I put on the plastic fender washers -- see next photo)

Stu Jackson

Installed plastic fender washers against the boom to separate the bail from the boom.

The choices for the compression tube were either stainless or aluminum.  It's a hard choice:  the boom is aluminum, the bolt is stainless, so the bolt's eating away at the aluminum boom.  If the compression tube was aluminum, it wouldn't eat at the boom, but the stainless bolt would work on the inside of the tube -- so that you either have a dilemma either way, or make lemonade out of lemons and have a choice of tube material!!!.  So, I found tubes that were stainless (all they had!!!) and coated the outside of the tubes with Lanocote when I put them in through the  boom.

Ron Hill

Tom : When you get your Garhauer Boom Vang it'll have instructions on how to mount it. 
I noted that in Stu's picture his vang attachment on the boom is much further aft that where I mounted mine.  My attachment on the boom is just forward of the 1st boom bail for the mainsheet line.  The attachment on the mast is just above the 2 screw small bail in the mast track just above the deck.  There's a picture in the Mainsheet of mine, but I don't recall how much detail you can see.
I took the vang control line and the mainsheet line and ran them thru a new BB double block that attaches to that small bail.  I changed out the double turning block deck organizer to a BB triple.  I also got a triple guide to replace the double guide on the traveler.   I mounted a cam cleat on the same teak block that the rope stopper and the jam cleat are mounted on. 
As I said the mainsheet now parallels the vang to that double block.   

As mentioned, you can take a "Forster" drill bit and make your own plastic fender washers out of old milk bottles to protect the boom.
A few thoughts.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Glennon

Stu, thanks for the visuals! The lenghtened bale for the block under the vang is of particular help, as I was trying to think how that might be done, as is the picture of the block at the base of the mast.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Steve McGill

After the solid vang and traveler upgrade from Garhauer I decided that the mainsheet blocks were next.
This past week I call Garhauer and spoke with Guido at 909-985-9993. After only explaining what I had for two minutes he suggested that size 40-x blocks would work and offered to fax me a suggested layout of the blocks.

I have attached the PDF he emailed to me and a pic of my original blocks.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ron Volk

Steve,

I opened up your PDF file & the top section has been cut off.  Is there any pertinent info in the missing section?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Steve McGill

Ron,

The PDF is how I received it from Guido at Garhauer. I believe it concerned attachment options
that may not have been related to  the actual blocks and thier setup. Hopefully I will receive the black today or Friday,
West to East coast shipping is not always the fastest.
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD