Advice on repostioning the aft water tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Schneider

In my quest to install a below-deck autopilot on my Mk 1.5 (walk-through), I've come to the realization that I have two choices:

1) build a fairly elaborate superstructure of new stringers to support the linear drive, or

2) mount that drive against the transom (actually the inside of the deck step in the transom) which would necessitate permanently removing the aft water tank (the a/p tiller arm would drive into the tank). 

Now, I could order a custom tank that is missing a big hunk in the middle (more so than already exists to service the quadrant), or I could place a slightly smaller rectangular tank longitudinally running from the aft cabin bulkhead to near the transom, thus bypassing the a/p tiller arm and rudder quadrant.  I would build a new platform to house this tank.  The space could accommodate a 35-40 gallon tank, and I would probably allow it to cant a bit amidships both laterally and longitudinally to increase drainage and water pressure.  There's one stock tank that would fit in the space, but I think I would still order a custom one in order to get the maximum size. 

The real benefit of this latter approach is that, like many other C34s, mine too suffers from a port-side list, so placing the tank longitudinally on the starboard side would probably considerably mitigate that issue.

What do you think of the plan?  Any better suggestions?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Larry Robertie

Well, this is probably not the reply you want but...  when I was at the Newport Boat Show this last fall I asked the sales guy about an autopilot.  I was adamant I wanted a below decks unit, but he pointed out the ratings and convinced me that the wheel mounted models are more than enough than is needed for a C34.

And a heck of a lot easier to install & maintain.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Jon Schneider

That's absolutely true about wheel a/ps for our boats, but I just can't stand the sound that little motor makes, plus the below-deck a/p is definitely more responsive, and that will prove much better in a following sea.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stephen Butler

We have the wheel mounted unit and have had no difficulties in some significant following-sea conditions.  Like you, we find the motor noise annoying on quiet passages, but then with the boat balanced, the motor hardly runs.  As a diy and admittedly crude cure for motor noise, the admiral has from time-to-time, simply placed a blue hot-pad over the motor and this all but eliminates motor noise....but then there is always the drive noise.   As for life with less water aboard, it all depends how the boat is used.  We need maximum water storage for our uses, but others do not.  Just some thoughts.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023