Prop Shaft & Cutless Bearing

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

It's time to replace Surprise's  cutless bearing.  However, in the process I would like to move the shaft a few inches to make sure that it isn't worn excessively in the stuffing box (getting quite a bit of dripping).  I have plans for a tool that will enable me to remove and install the bearing without removing the shaft from the boat.

If I loosen the shaft coupling, will I need to realign the shaft when I put everything together?  If so, I would rather just pull the shaft out of the coupling.  I am hoping that someone has a suggestion for a method to slip the shaft out of the coupling.

Vic Suben
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Bob K

I just finished removing my coupling on Sunday.  The method I used was posted on this board - I I first removed the flange coupling bolts and separated the two coupling flanges.  I then placed a small socket wrench socket (any metal cylinder with diameter lesss then 1") against the end of the shaft at the flange, and pushed the flanges together to temporarily hold the socket in place.  I then connected the flanges with long bolts/nuts, and started tightening them.  This method basically presses the shaft out of the coupling.  The corrosion was bad, and I had to use this method until the shaft was just about pushed all the way out - it never broke free.  Had to use several length bolts and lots of washers to prevent the bolts from hitting the rear of the transmission.  Not a fun job, but based on my experience, I don't think banging and heat would have been an alternative.  I feared bending the flanges, but they still mated true after it was all over.

My shaft has wear at the stuffing box, and I will be replacing it with stainless.  AQ19 alloy was recommended to me by two shaft mfrs.    I am interested in details of your cutless tool  - my shaft is removed, but I still need to replace the bearing.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

BillG

the Cat 36 organization has a great tool exchange program including a cutless bearing removal tool.    Any chance that we could use some of our dues money to do the same thing.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

BillG,

If you are interested, there are at least 3 more members that would be interested in splitting the price of the removal tools.  If we could get a few more people and decided how we would share the tool, I would be willing to kick in some money.  The C34 group as a whole did not appear interested in this, so maybe approaching the C36 group would be an idea also.

Cheers
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Craig Illman

I think the $45/3yr C36 associate membership is a pretty good deal. One of these days I'll try and get the optical tach from Tom S's toolbox. I don't understand why ALL the C34 owners don't belong and participate in our organization. I've learned so much and this group adds so much value to the class. The membership fee is a pitance compared to even a typical visit to WM.

Craig

(tired of the rain and now snow/ice/cold in Seattle)

Stu Jackson

I've have consistently maintained that the similarities between the systems on the C34 and C36 makes it a "natural" to do a few things:  either peruse or join the C36 website Message Board; review the information on their homepage; read ALL of the Mainsheet magazine (the C36 group were the leaders in identifying the secondary engine mounted fuel filter bracket issues), and also consider the C30 and its engine and systems as fellow travelers!  Besides, the C36 guys are wonderful, and Craig and Tom Soko have contributed to our site, and we have to theirs.  The only downside I can see to joining their organization, too, is that you'd get two Mainsheet magazines. :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Vic : To answer your question, no you'll not screw up engine alignment by just separating the flange (w/drive shaft) from the engine and shoving it back 4 inches.  That way you can see what the drive shaft looks like that in the cutless bearing.  Just DO NOT do anything with the engine mount adjustment nuts!!
Think that I'd make a mark (magic marker) so I mated the flange back to the same holes that it was in.    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Soko

Stu,
As Craig alluded to, the associate membership in C36IA does NOT include Mainsheet.  For $15/year, it's one of the best bargains in boating, IMHO.  It was designed for owners who get their Mainsheet from an All-Catalina Association, etc. We are an equal-opportunity association, and currently have many associate members who do not own C36's.  I think officially you cannot vote as a non-C36 owner, but that doesn't seem to bother too many people.  You are 100% correct in the similarities in systems between the two (three?) boats.  There are lots of VERY smart owners out there, and it's great to soak up some of their knowledge.
Tom Sokoloski (Soko)
C36IA Vice Commodore
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Bob K

Now that I see a new stainless shaft cost over $200, I am having 2nd thoughts about replacing my original bronze shaft.  Yes, it is worn at the stuffing box (the shaft wear is easily visible - the diameter is about 1/32 less at the worst point).   Does this wear really matter?  Wouldn't more packing take up the worn spot, or will I always be fighting excessive dripping?   Why is stainless better?  I suppose there will be less wear at the stuffing box, but is it desirable in any other ways?

Thanks always,
Bob
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Vic Suben

If we have at least 5 people willing to share the cost of the tool, each of us would have to kick in about $80.00. We could share the tool among ourselves, and whoever used it last would be responsible for keeping it until someone else in the group wants it.

If we want to recoup our investment the tool could be rented to others for a nominal fee, and the fee split among those who purchased the tool.

Please let me know what you think of this idea.

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Stu Jackson

One of the benefits of being a member of the C34 IA is that you can utilize the group effort in positive ways.  Perhaps instead of "going it alone" you might want to take a page out of the C36 Association's handbook, and volunteer to provide a service to your own Association's membership.  If you're in a hurry to do this work and need to the tool, by all means go ahead, but you may want to consider discussion of the Associations' purchase of the tool, too, to benefit all the members, so that five of you aren't out of pocket.

Vic Suben

Thanks for the suggestions Stu.

Please let me know how we go about getting the C34IA to purchase the tool.

Thanks,

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Stu Jackson

Vic

I recommend writing to Commodore Jon Arck at jonarck@kelarc.com, summarizing this thread or simply linking it, and requesting that the Association purchase the tool for X amount for use by C34 IA members (only).  I keep the list of membership as secretary. Jon will have to go to the Officers to get it approved as an expense to the Association.   From what I've heard, the deal is simple, just requires someone to administer it, mail and it get it returned.  I don't know how the C36 IA deals with the postage, so Craig Illman may help out on this part.  I assume you're "volunteering" to be "da man!"  Thanks for the idea.

Ron Hill

Guys : Fleet 12 took the money sent from the C34IA and purchased a cutlass bearing tool.  We also bought a Loos rigging gage and my keel nut tightening tool.  So now we have 3 Fleet 12 tools!! 
Ask your C34 fleet to do the same!!!!    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788