Depthsounder Transducers

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

For repair or replacement of Datamarine instruments, go to DMI:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1313.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : It's been my experience that when you send a gage (depth, wind or knot log) in for repair, that you give the repair shop both the instrument and the transducer.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Ron,
Good advice but in my case I knew that the depth transducer was fine but the display was not. That determination could save one a lot of hassle, ie. before pulling the transducer and wiring.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Stu Jackson

When my depthsounder started going wacky I pulled the head and had it repaired by DMI.  The transducer was and still is just fine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jim Hardesty

Many knowledgeable people are responding to this.  So I'd like to add my question about the water temperature function.  This function is like Christmas lights for me, they are good for one season only.  It's not too necessary in Lake Erie so it gets fixed only when the depth sounder goes bad.
Is there a common problem with the temp sender that I can fix?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Jim, wouldn't it depend on what specific equipment you have?  For instance, our older stuff has the simpler reads (speed, depth, wind) but nothing's combined.  My navigation is done with an abacus.  Water temperature is done by feel, since I refuse to have a thermometer on board - I might find out how really cold it is during summer around here!   :D