Galvanic Corrosion

Previous topic - Next topic

dave davis

I just came out on the hard to redue my bottom, and noticed that my Martec folder prop is in end -of-life status. It's 12 years old and has been rebuilt once before. The pitting and edges are just shot. The prop has been looking sick for several years, but my attitude has been, It's a sailboat, who needs a prop anyway! But, it's time to invest another 600$ and get a new one. Only this time,I'm going to have the boat surveyed for electrical problems and installing an isolator will probably be the next move. I got the feeling that my electrical problems have increased ever since I upgraded to my new ,three year old, Statpower Charger.
By the way, I have my prop and bottom cleaned by a diver about 10 times per year and zincs need replacement about 3 times per year.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

dave davis

Ron, thanks for your response. I had an electrical garu check out my corrosion prop problems today. He could not find any major problem but this is what we did. We installed an Isolator on the Green wire that comes in from the 110 plug. That was very easy and the Isolator cost 135$. He also suspected problems with the refrigerator unit because it is hooked up to 110 and 12 volts. He says they often use the same ground and the two grounds are not at the same level. As an added protection, I will connect a large 4/8 zinc to the ground on the engine and hang it over the side when I'm not at the boat. All this electrical stuff I go on faith because its not my strong point. He spent three hours with lots of checking for a total of 438$. I hope it was worth it. What do you think?
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach