Fuel Pick-up screen removal

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveLyle

The process continues of bringng #75 into the 21st century.  The alternator bracket is upgraded, the wiring harness is upgraded, and I'm mostly done with replumbing the fuel system so the primary filter is ahead of the pump (both the local West and Boat/US stores were out of 3/8" fuel hose - I need 1 more piece from the pump to the engine).  And I need to check the screen in the pump to make sure it's not on the verge of clogging.

Now for the pick-up strainer.  Given that the rest of the boat was in a 1986 time warp, I'm guessing the strainer was never removed.  I've seen references to a Mainsheet article on doing this, but not the article itself, and didn't find any details in the Tech Notes.

I'm guessing that I get at the sucker (groan) through the access port in the cockpit locker (doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but after the harness upgrade I'm darn near a qualified contortionist).  Remove the hose at the tank fitting, put a wrench on the nut below the fitting, and turn the fitting somehow (vice grips?) lefty-loosey.  Is this right?  Any words of wisdom from the experienced?

Thanks,
Steve

Stu Jackson

Steve

A C34 website search on "fuel screen" (search EXACT phrase) turned up two answers, one of which is:

http://www.c34.org/tech-notes-index/tech-notes-index-1996.htm

A very detailed explanation, hope it's what you're looking for.

The search engine installed on our C34 website is one of the best I've seen.  In many cases, I use that to help message board "posters" find answers.  We know the website's VERY BIG, (and I'm only about 55% up on remembering it all myself!) but like Google or other search engines, sometimes you have to be patient and sometimes creative.

Good luck.  If you get your screen out, come on over and you can remove mine!

Happy Holidays to All,
Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SteveLyle

That'll do it.  If this bizarre "Indian Winter" weather holds up here in Western NY, my fuel screen will be gone this weekend.

BTW, if I were you, I'd figure out some way to get Ron Hill indebted to me.  I'd much rather have his hands on my boat than some newbie.  I would like to see his boat one day, it must be the reference implementation fo a C34.

Regards,
Steve

Stu Jackson

Ron is an inspiration to us all.

It has been a GROUP effort all along, and will continue to be so with members like you.

Take notes.

Keep posting.

Pictures, before and after, are surely welcome.

Keep enjoying, fun, ain't it?!?

Thanks, Stu.

PS - got up to 1989 yet? (We '86'er's know how you feel)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."