North Carolina Sailing?

Previous topic - Next topic

yngvepau

Well it looks like Seattle is no longer the destination of choice of the admiral. She got a better offer from a company located in Raleigh, NC. I have told her that if we are going to relocate there, she has to be willing to make a "commute" to the coast during the weekends. So her is my question. What is the opinion of sailing in areas such as New Bern and Morehead city, NC ?

Thanks in advance.

Ken Juul

New Bern has a few nice marinas.  I bought my boat at one.  But it is quit a way up the Neuse River.  I'm not sure how much water is up there for sailing, I just made the tranist down the river.  As I recal it took about 5 hours to get from New Bern to Oriental.   Oriental is near the mouth of the Neuse, it seems to be the sailing center for the Pamlico Sound.  If you prefer ocean sailing, then Moorhead City or Beaufort would be a better choice.  We have several owners in our Marina in the Chesapeake that live in the Raleigh/Durham/Charlotte areas.  They would rather put up with a longer drive to sail the Chesapeake.  Lots of options.  I'd try Oriental, if you don't like it, move to the Chesapeake the following year.

Happy to answer any other questions.  kenandvic@cox.net
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

yngvepau

Does anyone know anything about lake jordan, about 25 miles west of Raleigh?