Prop Shaft R&R

Previous topic - Next topic

malgase

With a stuffing box that is only dry when static, and cannot be tightened enough to get to 1-2 drops/minute with the shaft rotating, I figured it was time for a PSS seal and a cutless bearing as a minimum.

When the boat went onto the hard this fall, I disconnected the shaft flange, and started to pull the shaft out of the boat, having recalled someone saying "it just barely squeeks past the rudder" . . . NOT!

I have a first generation rudder (not elliptical) and no matter what I do with it, it interferes with shaft removal.  I have to drop the rudder out to get the shaft out, but need a hole under the rudder to drop it far enough for the rudder post to clear the bottom of the boat (when it rains, it pours).

So I was hoping someone had expert advice on the process of removing / replacing the rudder.  I figure my best bet is to get a shaft made in advance, so when the rudder is out, I can replace the shaft right away, and put the rudder back as soon as possible.  Having removed enough of the shaft to see the wear at the cutless and stuffing box, it is time for a shaft also.  Is Catalina the right place to get one, or is their price high by comparison?

Anyone have any detail on what Cutless Bearing I need, and or which PSS seal (I think the 2" shaft log, but am not completely sure)? Also, does anyone have the length of the shaft recorded so I know what to order if I go to Catalina?
It'd save me a trip to the boat for measurements.  

Any help / advice / things to consider would be appreciated.

Michael

Ed Shankle

I had my yard replace the shaft and cutless last spring. Add me to Ron's list of people who had the shaft removed with the rudder in place. It wasn't easy, but with a clean shaft and some grease, it works. A tip; on the install, slip the cutless onto the new shaft after passing it thru the shaft bracket and once the shaft is fully in position, push the cutless into place in the bracket. This gives you some wiggle room to get past the rudder.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

malgase

Well, with the advice and encouragement of Ed and Ron, I greased up the shaft and successfully removed it from the boat.  Thanks for the help guys!  :)

Once the shaft was out, I removed the stuffing box also to measure the shaft log.  Still undetermined whether to use dripless packing in the existing box, or just go with a PSS seal.  The PSS Seal comes with two shaft log diameters for a 1 inch shaft, 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 inches.  The shaft log is 1 5/8 inches, based on the drawing Catalina Yachts Tech Support sent me.  Did they stretch a 1 5/8 hose onto a larger shaft log?  Are there any MKI owners out there that have switched to the PSS seal?  What seal did you use?  Can the 1 1/2 inch be stretched to fit (scary to stress it that much), or does the 1 3/4 inch get clamped down onto the smaller diameter (leaks are a concern here)?  Is there a way to build up the shaft log an additional 1/8 inch reliably?  I have an email into PYI Inc, but have not received a reply as yet.

A note on a source for a replacement shaft:  Catalina only stocks shafts for existing designs, and did not have one the right length for a C34 MKI (58 1/8 inches in my case).  I found a place called General Propeller Corp., General Propeller Corp., that lists Catalina as a customer, and can make a replacement from Aqualloy / Aquamet stainless steel for $171 plus shipping.  For an additional $34, you can send them your engine flange, and they will fit and face it to the shaft, squaring the interface surface of the flange to the axis of rotation of the shaft.  Mr. Webmaster, it may be worth adding them to the vendor list!

Well, any thoughts about the PSS seal are appreciated.  I know many owners of other boats that swear by them, and have much dryer bilges as a result.

Michael

Captain Bob

Michael, PSS recommends that you use the 1 1/2 seal and it does strech to fit. I had mine in for one whole season and I love it. Just one burp in the spring after it goes in the water and I forget about it most of the time.