Garhauer Turnbuckle Covers

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

My old plastic covers are shot. Is anyone familiar with the Garhour covers? Thanks for any info or pictures. CLiff Rieders c34 tall rig, 1990, #1022
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

Why bother covering them at all?  When we got our first boat we were all enthused about covering the turnbuckles and the shrouds in plastic, only to learn later two things:  covering them could create accelerated deterioration, and out of sight out of mind.  We keep ours uncovered, and this suggests that we check them more often, because they're right there in front of us.  Less expensive, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

good point. Garhour has a stainless sleeve of some sort. I have no idea why, but I wonder what they are thinking ! Cliff c34

Ron Hill

Cliff : I believe that the stainless cover on the new Garhauer turnbuckles is to cover the cotter pins and prevent snags. 
As Stu mentioned, you're better off leaving them uncovered.  Even with a 150 Genoa, my sail doesn't come close to the turnbuckles. 
What you need to make sure of is that the cotter pin ends are "curled" so no sharp end protrudes - hard on the lower leg!!   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

dave davis

:clap  When I got my old standing rigging replaced last year after 18 years of tough use, I requested the rig shop to use the new design by Garhauer on all 6 turnbuckles They machine their own bronze turnbuck from rod. They are not forged. They also make a stainless cover that hides the bronze. I personally like the looks of them as clean looking stainless. They look so nice that I had some guy ask if they where hydraulic.The forstay and the backstay are still stainless forgings. All the new Catalina's are using the new design.
So, now you have a choice.  :D

Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

crieders

I checked with Garhour and they were nice enough send e mailed photos. Looked nice and I am not sure how to retofit but I will take a look at it. Thanks for the response. Cliff c34, 1990, #1022, tall rig

Ron Hill

Cliff : Don't know if you replaced your standing rigging or not.   Your boat is of that age that it needs replacement. 
BTW those turnbuckles might be a nice looking cosmetic change, but the turnbuckle is usually not the failure point of a shroud!!!
A thought.     :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

clifford Rieders

Ron have not replaced the standing rigging yet on my lightly used boat but I have tought about it.  Where is the best place to purchase? Cliff R. c34, #1022